Smooth sexy Limited Edition Sliders. (hair brained) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smooth sexy Limited Edition Sliders. (hair brained)

IMG_20140515_160714_zpsd914b43a.jpg

Glad to see they held up.

Two things:

If you take that counter-balance thingy off the rear pumpkin, you gain a few critical inches of ground clearance with no side effects. I have had mine off for years.

And..........your gas tank skid plate is way too straight, go out and put some dents in that thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with Brian. Ditch the counterweight it's just one more thing to get hung up on.

I'm glad the sliders did their job in Moab:chug:

Yea, yea, two year old thread revival....

Coincidentally I was under the Eddie Bauer yesterday (installing a reinforced gas tank skid plate that I'll get to later on a different thread). As I looked around under the truck for inspiration I, like you, noticed that the running boards are mounted pretty well. In fact the mounts are much much stronger than the running boards themselves. And, like you, I wondered... If I reinforced the underside of the running boards with real steel... hmmm....
Now that I've seen yours, I'm really wondering. Of course I don't have access to a brake as you do, only a welder. What I'm wondering is could I just reinforce the running boards for now, and build the sliders after I get around to doing the body lift. I think I'll make a cardboard template and see just what kind of work I'm looking at.
Thanks for the inspiration!

The big press brake is at Allstate steel on bell & Cave Creek road. They are a fence and stair company, but the yard guy is cool about side jobs.

LoL I just got back to this thread... Didn't even notice til now you were a local! I'll have to hit them up. Do they also sell raw steel? I need a good source for a trailer I want to build.

yup

Back