Snap-ring wont fit on spindle...need help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snap-ring wont fit on spindle...need help!!

beckhm1991

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle (Capitol Hill), Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I am putting the X back together after replacing U-joints, ball joints, inner/outer tie rods. Got the passenger side axle shaft engaged with stub splines, boot back on after some difficulty with the new clamps, reinstalled the splash shield, centered the spindle on the steering knuckle-seemed to engage properly, repacked the wheel bearings and installed the new seal, rotor on, outer bearing in, wheel bearing adjusting nut installed and torqued using Haynes specs, installed locking key, installed thrust spacers, got the cam on installed the spacer and....not enough tolerance between the end of the axle shaft and the spacer to get the C-clip on.

At this point I am baffled, I loosened the clamps around the axle boot to try and pull the axle towards the steering knuckle so that it would seat tighter and therefore allow me to get the clip engaged...no cigar, need about 1/16" to get the clip on, there has to be a problem somewhere but I cannot figure it out.

All thoughts are encouraged

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure the TTB is level and then try rotating the stub axle shaft to help seat it against the back of the spindle. How did the inner wheel seal look (attached to the Stub axle)? The OEM seal is rubber/metal and pressed on. If it is damaged it can prevent the stub axle from being fully inserted.

Also take a peek at the 1st Gen Brake thread for lots of info and pics on the these front end parts.

Derocha-
Thanks for the reply, tonight when I get home I am going to try and retackle this problem. I think I am going to break it back down to the stub shaft, pull it out, and check the seal, I have a funny suspicion that the seal may be the culprit, because I am fairly certain everything else went on correctly, and if I am wrong, well I should find the problem breaking it back down again...right? Thats the idea at least.

Do you typically replace the seal (slinger as referred to by Haynes) when you work on the axle shafts? Other than being a little greasy it looked fine when I put it back together, but it may have not been pressed on all the way...we'll see. If it needs to be replaced/repressed, is this a task for the machine shop?
Thanks again.

I know the Haynes manual indicates the seal needs to be pressed in by a machine shop, but the OEM style seal was replaced by (Timkin 722109). This seal is 100% rubber and can easily be pressed on by hand.

Check out the Dana 35 restoration thread for more info/part #s and pictures.

I have had this exact problem before.
There is a rubber/hard plastic piece that goes on the end of the axle shaft before the spindle goes on MUST be facing the right direction, the taper goes towards the taper in the axle shaft, if its backwards you will not be able to get enough of the shaft to stick through the spindle for the C clip to lock on.

You may also try to push the shaft outwards (into the spindle) from behind the knuckle when re-assembling, sometimes it just needs a nudge.

Derocha-
That is good to know, if it ever needs to be replaced.

410-
I think you hit the nail on the head, when I started the reassembly last night, I had the plastic washer off at one point to clean the rubber axle seal, I must have put it on backwards when I reassembled...damn shame, I see an hour disappearing before my eyes. I tried pulling the axle from behind the knuckle, actually used a heavy duty screw driver slotted through the U-joint for leverage to try to press it hard against the knuckle, feel like I had it maxed out and there still wasn't room for the clip. Will let you guys know how round 2 goes.

Well it was definately that plastic washer, I guess I didn't notice the taper on it the first time through..practice makes perfect, the other side should be a breeze tonight. Thanks again

Back