Snapped rear jackshaft attachment bolt Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snapped rear jackshaft attachment bolt Sport Trac

Tyson37

Reaction score
City, State
Belleair bluffs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac
I just removed my engine from my 2002 Explorer Sport Trac. After taking the flex plate off I took the engine compartment seal off and half of the jackshaft Bolt came falling out and the other half is still screwed in. I have no idea what to do because if I try to drill it out then I will ruin the threads. 2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 4x4

Carefully center-punch the remaining part of the broken bolt and drill a hole in the center. Start with a small drill bit (like a 1/8" bit) and step up to a larger size, making sure you're hole is remaining in the center of the bolt.

Get yourself a set of easy-outs (they look like a tapered left-hand thread drill bit) and insert that in the hole in the bolt. It should allow you to back out the broken bolt fairly easily without harming the threads. I'm thinking the bolt should come out quite easily, unless someone used too long of a bolt and bottomed it out. You might even be able to hammer a small screwdriver tip into the hole and be able to back the broken bolt out.

One word of caution:
Do not break the easy-out off in the bolt or you will be screwed (they are very hard and therefore brittle). Drill the hole to be able to use as large a size easy-out as you can. as the larger the easy-out the stronger it is.

Either that or since you have the engine out you could take it to a machine shop and see if they can get it out without screwing it up any worse. Now you have to replace the torque to yield bolt.

Steel bolts in aluminum have a tendency to seize. This is from the dissimilar metals. Easy outs will work. I use a straight flute type. I little heat and gently using it should be successful. Also PB Blaster as a lube. Dave P.

Back