Sniper Tuning Special Forces Software (make your own custom tune!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sniper Tuning Special Forces Software (make your own custom tune!)

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
I with my minor engine mods- headers, intake and exhaust, I am having drive ability issues and have suffering fuel mileage. I want to get a custom tune, but I found this computer based tuner software and cable for a bout the same money. The beauty of this is I can change anything I want when things change for me. Any thoughts on this?

http://www.tonnocover.com/productli...forces_diesel_gas_engine_tuning_software.html

Edit Better Link www.snipertuning.com

As an alternative to this, I would like a dyno tune, but none are available locally. Is there some software I could get cheaply that could capture data to give to bamachips to create my tune? My superchips tuner looks like it uses a serial port connection and has a detachable cable, which I think I could use if I had some software?

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK
I wish you hadn't shown that to me.
I am going to browse those links thuroughly, but initially it looks interesting.

About the capture software,

I am currently playing with a scantool on loan, it is pretty cool.
I can watch all the data, and I guess you can print, which would be a "capture " function.

I am looking for a better software than the freeware I am using. If you care to help me in this endevour, go here

www.scantool.net

there are links to software--I wanted to check the OBDspyII, but I don't understand the install dealio . I e-mailed author with no response--care to look?

If you used this software you would have to have both a wide band O2 sensor (around $400) as well as a laptop with data logging software and good place to run out your truck (track, deserted road) in order to get anywhere near what a dyno tune could get you. The wide band O2 is the key because without it you have no idea how to tune/adjust everything other then 'seat of the pants'. For the price of this and a wideband O2 you would probably be better off to find a dyno, or even drive to your closest one.

I went to scan tool dot net and played around a little bit, but it looks like I have to have their interface contraption. I have a cable to go from my obdII port to my serial to usb converter, then to my laptop, but the software can't read the info. Rather than spend the money for their interface, I could buy that other company's whole set up, be able to read and tune.

I went to scan tool dot net and played around a little bit, but it looks like I have to have their interface contraption. I have a cable to go from my obdII port to my serial to usb converter, then to my laptop, but the software can't read the info. Rather than spend the money for their interface, I could buy that other company's whole set up, be able to read and tune.

Were you able to get the obdIIspy software running?
It is a perl file, with a learnkey patch or something,:confused:

I was wondering if I could get a hand here, cause I'm a dummy.
My laptop is win 2000 pro, OS

I have no trouble with the easy obdII software, however the obdspy II is supposed to be a data logger also.

I'm going to bump this thread. I too have been looking at the Sniper Special Forces package, but I'd love some feedback from someone before I plunge into this one. I found a link that lists Sniper as a part of Crane Cams, but there doesn't appear to be any links to Sniper from the Crane homepage. Anybody out there know anything at all about this?

I am chomping at the bit to try my hand a flash tuning, I know of several Contour SVT people who are using an accelerometer as a dyno and are reading the PCM data with the Alex Pepper software.

Actually the Sniper is a spinoff of old technology if I am not mistaken from SCT. But neither here nor there. If you are looking to tune yourself be prepared. There is a lot more to it than just punching a few #'s. With that being said if I were you I would go with the SCT pro racer package and that way you would have the support you need. All the time! I sell it and contact me if interested. You will also have to have a wide band 02. With the ExCal2 and a pro racer package you can have full control over your pcm. Also I will let you know the Sniper doesn't have the trans control the SCT software does. SCT has the best tranny control in the tuning business..-James

Back