Snow plowing with a explorer sport??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snow plowing with a explorer sport???

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Haven Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer sport
hi my name is nick and i am new to this forum. i just bought my first ford explorer. it is a 97 ford explorer sport with the 4.0L ohv and it is completely stock. i was just wondering if i could put a snow plow on the front of it to plow my drive way and a few others. i am not looking to make money with it. i was just wondering if anyone out there has done it or is plowing with an explorer right now. i have talked to a couple of mechanics and they tell me it is not a good idea because they say the upper ball joints can take it and the torshin bars may break. Now i have never seen an explorer with a plow on it but i have seen lots of ford rangers with plows on them all the time and they seem to have the same style supenstion. so i am hope u guys could point me in the right direction because i cant decide if i should put a plow on it or not. and if u have any pics of a plow on a explorer if u could please post them too so i can see ur set up that would me great. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definately not recommended.. The V6 tranny will implode from the added stress. If your looking to plow your driveway depending on the size a ATV with a plow may be suitable enough.

is there any trany i could put in the explorer that wont gernade on me that would bolt up to the motor and tranfercase because i would like to do some two tracking with it this summer and i would like to take it to the sand dunes also and i do want to have to worry about the trany???

For the V6 nothing is really DIY bolt-up other than a manual 5 speed conversion. You can do a 700R4 but that requires an adapter.

i really dont want to do the 5 speed conversion because i did that in my 90 ford mustang and that was a ton of work but if i put the 700R4 in it is the adpter plate for the motor or the transfercase or both and were can i get them and will the 700R4 torquconverter bolt up to my 4.0L flex plate

one more question is there anything i would have to do to the front end supension for the plow or no

Probably increase the preload a little on the torsion bars to help with weight and heavy shocks. Make sure your balljoints and tie-rod ends are in good shop.
I don't personally think it's going to be a good plow vehicles. Short wheel base and light weight. You'll probably spin tires a lot. But it sounds like there are rangers out there doing it.

thanks guys for all ur help. i think im going to put in a after market trany cooler just for two tracking and i may give the snow plowing with my explorer a shot and i will let u know how it works out.:thumbsup:

thanks guys for all ur help. i think im going to put in a after market trany cooler just for two tracking and i may give the snow plowing with my explorer a shot and i will let u know how it works out.:thumbsup:

Snow blowers are cheaper ;) but not as much fun.

I got an over-sized stacked plate style transmission cooler put in, and the transmission runs 20-30 degrees lower in all driving styles, compared to the small stock cooler.
So yes it is worth it. Mine was running in the 180's on an average spring day driving around unloaded, now in the 160's in similar conditions.

Snow blowers are cheaper ;) but not as much fun.

i know snow blowers are cheaper an yea not as fun but i just miss pushing snow. i had a 88 ford bronco with a 3 speed manuel in it an i had so much fun pushing snow. yea that might sound weird but i had fun doing it and i was just hoping i could do it with my explorer

i just got done plowing my driveway with my riding mower. i dont think it would be as fun with a truck. course i would only need one sweep with a truck, compared to the hour i just spent. (mostly messing around, and trying to drift the mower) lol.

There is a Guy that plows with his Truck.

Plowing with a Second Gen

I would also add a Tranny Temp. Gauge to watch the Tranny temp. I Installed one on my X before I went to the dunes two summers ago and it saved my Tranny from Frying. As long as you drive smart and don't slam it into reverse when driving foward, you should be fine. Most of the Extra front end wear can be lessened by driving smart and slow. Add some cement bags or something in the back for weight. At the Landscaping company I worked at they used full tree trunks all the way across the bed.....

Also, it's just not the same doing it on a Lawnmower compared to a truck. Good luck.

Don't forget that Mike has the V8 & the better transmission.. The A4LD, 4R, 5R series trannies are the weakpoint. The V8 tranny, 4R70W has a better reputation for lasting.

so what i am hearing u guys r saying that it would be preaty stupid of me to put a plow on my V6 explorer. as bad as i want to plow again buy something else to plow with it, but i think i i am going to put a bigger trany cooler in it and a trany temp gauge in it for the dunes this summer

Would you rather use your plow maybe for a season and then have to get a tranny rebuilt or replaced or would you rather get a atv or tractor and slap a plow blade.. I'd rather do the 2nd..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think i will just stick with my trusty snow shovel because i cant afford to replace or rebuild the trany right now

Back