So I cannot find my A/C leak...

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
So after putting some more refrigerant, and dye in my truck this year to try and find the leak, I cannot find it anywhere, checked the condenser, the Evaporator drain, and all the hoses, and nothing is leaking anywhere. so am I missing something, or what are common leaks for our trucks? Also to clarify I have been running the A/C almost every day for a month, and it no longer works, so I have given it time to work the dye out of the system.

my truck is a 1996 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the pre '99 accumulators are wrapped with insulation. The insulation acted as a sponge holding condensation and causing rust and leaks.
At least that's what happened to mine.

Darn Freon thieves. Is nothing sacred?

i believe the pre '99 accumulators are wrapped with insulation. The insulation acted as a sponge holding condensation and causing rust and leaks.

+1

I believe the pre '99 accumulators are wrapped with insulation. The insulation acted as a sponge holding condensation and causing rust and leaks.

Would it be possible for me not to see the dye if it was leaking there? I mean it leaks out pretty fast, so I assume I would see it.

Very possible. If i remember right the insulation is glued on. I think I couldn't take it off to look for leak. New accumulator is $20-$25?

Could also be the evaporator coil itself.

Since you've added dye, are you using a UV light w/goggles to look for traces of the dye?

If needed the evap coil is easier to replace than 1st appearances. It's very easy to remove the engine bay half of the air box.

Could also be the evaporator coil itself.

Since you've added dye, are you using a UV light w/goggles to look for traces of the dye?

If needed the evap coil is easier to replace than 1st appearances. It's very easy to remove the engine bay half of the air box.

Yes I am using the goggles and UV light to look, I even turned off all the lights in the shop to see if it would stand out, I found nothing at all, I didn't look directly at the Evaporator, but up into the drain for the evaporator, I found no trace of dye, since it was coming out so fast, in a little over a month, if it was leaking from there I would for sure see it.

Then I'd almost put money on the evap coil.

But, have you checked the backside/inside of the a/c clutch? Buried up inside the clutch coil, bearing and plate, a lot of dye can hide.

Back