so lost...22x9.5 wheel...tire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

so lost...22x9.5 wheel...tire

i am tryin to find out if anyone has 22 x 9.5 wheels on their 96 and if so...what size tire did you put on it? im about to order some new wheels but nobody can help me on tire size cuz they all say explorers suck or something...like they know anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't do it, anything bigger than a 20 on an explorer looks too big and will wear out your front end WAY before it should, especially on an older model. I had 22 on my 02 F150 and they wore the front end out within 4 months and would have cost me about $1000 to fix, so I got rid of the 22s and sold the truck instead. Your decision though: 20s and look good for a long time or 22s and look good but have to spend alot of money down the road keeping it on the road.

2001rangerxtdca said:
. Your decision though: 20s and look good for a long time or 22s and look good but have to spend alot of money down the road keeping it on the road.

if i had a 2wd explorer... and had the money to put whatever rims i wanted. 22's would be the smallest wheels i'd put on it. ( u could do 20's and airbags to get it low enough to make the 20's look big enough) or atleast drop it like xzibit's i think thats who not 100% sure. when it comes to a car, truck, suv... the biggest u can possibly cram in there is what'll look good. DISCLAIMER: this ofcourse is not the most practical thing to do. this is just my opinion on what looks good. thats just how i see it. and in all honesty i'd cram some 26's on it. seen it on a navigator here in town. nice!! but its $10,000 worth of tires and wheels :thumbdwn: and i'll most likely never have money to do something like that but if i did i would... and it looks great on there. its quite similair to putting oversized tires... u just have to keep up with maintaince. and i don't see how a 22" wheel could be any worse than a heavy steel wheel and and some heavy 35" tires... which it can handle decently with proper maintainance. and most likely hold up better since u would probably beat on the 4wd and take it easy on the 2wd. bottom line "u have to pay to play"

hiridin said:
....and i don't see how a 22" wheel could be any worse than a heavy steel wheel and and some heavy 35" tires... which it can handle decently with proper maintainance. and most likely hold up better since u would probably beat on the 4wd and take it easy on the 2wd. bottom line "u have to pay to play"

Well I have had 35s and I have had chrome 22s, and the 22s are ALOT heavier than the 35s were. Think about it, the metal weighs ALOT more than a hollow rubber tire. I would say that my 22s were about 20-30 pounds heavier per wheel than my STS all terain 35x12.50x16 with chrome wheels.

i can't argue with u on that. i've never picked up a 22" wheel. on a side note my 35's with 15x10 steel wheels were heavy as hell. when i moved up to 38x15.50's i went with an alluminum wheel and even though the 38's are bigger and an all around heavier tire they don't appear to weigh any more than my 35's with steel wheels did. so i assume alot of it has to do with the specific wheel u choose as some will weigh much more than others...

the reason i say that is b/c that navigator on 26's... there wasn't a whole lot of wheel to it. it was a small simple yet very nice looking 5 spoke design and simply not a whole lot of wheel to it at all. there is this chevy pu in town with 22" wheels. and those wheels are pretty much solid. i can see those wheels weighing ALOT but that same size wheel in a 5 spoke design for example would weigh ALOT less. cuz its much much less wheel there. i wouldn't be suprised if those particular 22's out weighed those 26 simply b/c of how much wheel there is to them. again just assuming though...

Back