SoCal 4x4 trip in October? | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SoCal 4x4 trip in October?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey jefe,
that weld is like an ugly chick. it looks pretty ugly in the pics, but once me and josh had an 18 pack in us at about 3 in the morning, we were looking at it and i swore it was tig!!!

Josh, got the voicemail!!! Sounds like a fun weekend!!! I'm out here in Parker Az. well actually about 1/2 mile south of hte parker dam litterally living right on the river. Sucks about the radius arms, I can't belive they broke considering the abuse mine had taken with the bumpstops hitting off them? Good to hear Jason is using the rig and not going soft on it!!! I want to see photos!!! You know what, I never once got a photo of that thing in the air!!!

Jason, watch those rear bumpstop!!! Remember I was talking about putting a little leash of sorts on there??? I'd think about that!!! If those bumpstops come out the next thing to go bad is the rear upper shock mounts coming out which usually results in buying new rear shocks, trust me!!! The front end should be pretty much bomb proof, I think that little cup that cracked on you was just fatigue from years of work. Only thing to watch on the front end is the radius arms right where Josh's broke cause the bumps are hitting there... Have fun with that thing!!!! When I get my new rig done I'll come show you how an import SAS front end Frontier does!@!!! LOL, what a joke, I'm going to build a Nissan??? LOL, all I can do is laugh, it's part of the job though!!!

www.spencerlowracing.com

Khris

Josh S. said:
and dang my bumper sure is tweaked out in that second pic! I wonder if its still like that :eek: Oh well, good excuse to build a better one with a winch mount :D
It wasn't straight before I put the high lift under there, but it wasn't that tweeked. Never saw if it straightened back out w/o the weight of the truck on it.

exploderpilot said:
hey jefe,
that weld is like an ugly chick. it looks pretty ugly in the pics, but once me and josh had an 18 pack in us at about 3 in the morning, we were looking at it and i swore it was tig!!!
LOL. . .that upper one is screwed (or is that bolted :D ) but the lower ear & plate was a pretty decent weld considering what I was working with. I've already ordered a nice die grinder so that I can remove the paint before I weld next time. :thumbsup:

Khris, are you working for SLR?? FST has done a bunch of work for them in the past. We did some repairs on their TT at the SLR shop earlier this year.

exploderpilot said:
hey jefe,

LOL!

khris-hell yah dude, good times for sure! :thumbsup: Glad to hear ****'s goin good for ya out there :D I got a post going on dezert rangers about the arm, maybe you could cruise over there and give me some support...dudes aren't taking too kindly of me complaining about Camburg if ya know what I mean ;)

Rick, yeah I'm basically running the show over here at SLR trying to get this place under control and going straight. Long road ahead of me!!! I know for sure FST does quite a bit for us. I've talked with Torry and Manny a couple times over there already. You can probably see why I unloaded the Exploder now??? SAS Nissan Frontier is in my future!!! 4 Linked front with c/o and bypass shocks if my dream comes true!!!

Josh, yeah, I saw that... I could see if the other one went but I can't understand why that one would've failed!!! If anything I'd yank the pass. one, build a fixture off of it, mirror image the mounts. Go to Kartek, buy the threaded bungs and tabs you need right off their shelf and build yourself your own set!!!

yah i was either waiting to see if camburg could help me out replacing it, or score some upper/lower tabs from them and repair it myself, then gusset the crap out of the area that broke on both sides. Or building my own set may be in order depending on how angry or ambitious i get. Something has to happen soon though...

Josh man, your King shock sticker got jacked up too :thumbdwn: Heh heh, j/k dude...glad you and the rig made it back home in one piece. Am I seeing things or is your pinch bolt for the upper ball joint in the pic missing?

Exploderpilot, yeah they make those steering set ups for the solid axle guys, gonna have to hit up one of the desert race shops for some TTB stuff.

oh don't worry, I have replacement King reservoir stickers... :D Upper balljoint/alignment cam pinchbolt look to be in there, if you're looking at the space between the pieces, it's always like that.

hey khris! good to see you're not just gonna totally leave the site hanging, and i'll get you some airtime pics as soon as i digitize the video. that thing flies like nobody's business, crawls like a champ, although i did bang up your doors some, and since we finally got rain in san diego, we went to fiesta island yesterday and did some high speed mud boggin. i love that truck!!! i talked to justin mcneil yesterday, and the one piece 04 sport trac fiberglass is about two weeks from completion. if i don't waste all my money before then, hopefully i'll get it first!!!! as far as that cup under the spring, we took the broken one, welded it back together, and used it as a template for the big laser scanning cnc mill they have here at work, and got some stainless ones made!!! just gotta find the time to rip the front end apart. i'm also gonna fully box the ttb.

and hey josh, the metalsmiths down here are ####ing awesome! they are gonna tackle my rear bumpstop issue, and looking at my radius arms, they have some ideas obout fabbing some longer ones. so call me up, and we'll figure it out. you can either get mine for a song, i'm pretty sure they're the same, or we can just fab two sets! but i do wanna go longer travel.....

NICE... SS cups should last forever!!! Hey, quick question... Any chance of getting that Humboldt Alumni license plate frame sometime???

Fiesta island, did you run that whooped out rythem section about 3/4 of the way around it??? Any word on a boat??? I've got a dock about 30' from my front door out here!!!

yeah khris, i have two boats now, i picked up another tracker nitro. it's gonna be for sale next month, i'll send you pics
thanx josh

hey khris, i'll get you that license plate frame if you send me your addy!

Back