• Register Today It's free!

SOHC engine question

Scott109

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
I have a question for all the SOHC engine gurus.
Is this an interference engine? In other words, if the cam chain broke or even jumped a tooth would the pistons wack the valves that were hanging open?
Thanks for any info!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

recall

there is a cam chain recall on sohc engines for chain and if trouble also covers assosiated damages to engine ....check it out if you are haveing trouble

keep me posted

C'mon guys, I can't believe nobody knows this.......

Sorry.....i'm not the smartest engine guy in the world but it seems to me that of course the engine would have to be rebuilt if anything like that happened to the timing chain.

Not totally sure

I would be shocked if it were a non interference engine as many engines more sophisticated than the SOHC 4.0L are interference. I won't tell you what it cost to get my Audi A4 with 5 valves per cylinder fixed after it skipped a couple of teeth. Sold the car after that.

Re: Not totally sure

Originally posted by shawnbru
I would be shocked if it were a non interference engine as many engines more sophisticated than the SOHC 4.0L are interference. I won't tell you what it cost to get my Audi A4 with 5 valves per cylinder fixed after it skipped a couple of teeth. Sold the car after that.

Yeah, most OHC motors I've read about are interference, the only one that really pops in there that isn't is the turbo 4cyl Toyota used in MR2's and Celicas. LOL, yeah, if your Audi is anything like my Talons were, if the timing belt snaps or jumps time its 2000+:fire: ...

Okay, thanks guys!

Scott

Back