Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
Hi everyone.

I'm definitely new around these boards, as I used to be an explorer owner, but unfortunate circumstances resulted in the sale of my vehicle.

So I found a 1996 limited, 4.0L V6 in my area for sale for $2000. I'm just looking to confirm if the following underhood picture makes it the SOHC V6, or the slightly less powerful OHV V6, as I'm not able to tell by looking at the picture. Since I'm going to have to drive 6 or 7 hours to pick it up, confirming this would be nice so I can source out some of the parts it needs before I arrange pickup.

Thank you for the help, and hope everyone has a happy holiday season!

DSCF1757.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ohv...still a good motor though.

OHV...is it just me or does that intake tube get bigger as it goes toward the intake box?

yeah, in some ways the OHV IMHO is a better motor, however for power and efficiency the SOHC is better. I would say don't let the OHV scare you away from a good deal. Those motors are like diesels if maintained properly they run forever :thumbsup:

OHV...is it just me or does that intake tube get bigger as it goes toward the intake box?

yeah the OHV has that huge round filter that has that round plastic case around the MAF so yeah, the tube gets bigger to hook up around the plastic housing.

I know that I used to have a lot of problems with my old engine, which was a 4.0 OHV as well. Belt tensioner pulley bit the dust on a long road trip, and after 200,000km (130,000Mile), the engine started to drink oil fairly readily.

I have tons of plans for this new truck if I can pull together the cash to pick it up in early '08. At a price like that, I'd like to take it to a local machine shop for a complete rebuild, and then start with mods like MAC intake, JBA headers, gibson exhaust, ecu mod, etc. etc. I should be able to get it on the road in decent shape for around $5000 or so.

Thanks a lot for the quick response and help guys, you'll see me around here a lot more often once I have something to wrench on in my garage that's worth talking about! ;)

I had no problems whatsoever with my 98 Ranger OHV 4.0L, 143k miles when I sold it. Ran great, strong, no leaks, etc. Belt tensioner has nothing to do with the engine really. The same thing could have happened on the SOHC.
My wife's 97 explorer with the OHV has around 110k, also runs great. The only problem it had was bad intake gaskets, running great again since I replaced them.
I actually liked my OHV motor more than the SOHC in my sport trac. The SOHC has more top end power (great for highway) but the OHV has more low end grunt. Tows better and pulls harder offroad.

Besides, I wouldn't be worried about the engine so much as the transmission and balljoints and such.

I know that I used to have a lot of problems with my old engine, which was a 4.0 OHV as well. Belt tensioner pulley bit the dust on a long road trip, and after 200,000km (130,000Mile), the engine started to drink oil fairly readily.

I have tons of plans for this new truck if I can pull together the cash to pick it up in early '08. At a price like that, I'd like to take it to a local machine shop for a complete rebuild, and then start with mods like MAC intake, JBA headers, gibson exhaust, ecu mod, etc. etc. I should be able to get it on the road in decent shape for around $5000 or so.

Thanks a lot for the quick response and help guys, you'll see me around here a lot more often once I have something to wrench on in my garage that's worth talking about! ;)

i havent had any major problems with my 1995 explorer w/ the ohv and the only problem ive had so far was a sticky throttle at around 206k miles which was solved with wd40 on the throttle body. these engines are good for long term

I hope the OP is having good luck with his ride as that post was from 2-1/2 years ago... :D

Well...regardless of age, I haven't had any trouble with my OHV either. The transmission has had some trouble, but other than one of those CPS synchronizer things (don't remember the proper name), the engine has been bulletproof (knock on wood).

I hope the OP is having good luck with his ride as that post was from 2-1/2 years ago... :D

Yes Greg_Don are you still out there?? Greg_Don?? Greg??

How is the OHV holding up...........

I'm still here, never ended up picking up the truck that was pictured, but a while ago I picked up a 2000 Limited with only 78,000 original KMS on it! I have a question about the aftermarket Gibson exhaust that I posted today, and will post some pics up after I get a few mods done over the next few months.

my 1997 ford explorer with 4.0ohv v-6 out run th. PA STATE TROOPER HE TOLD ME THAT HE COULDNOT KEEP UP WITH ME I DID A 120M.P.H IN A 55M.P.H I PLEAD NOT GUILTY I WON MY COURT CASE THE JUDGE DROP POINT OFF MY DRIVER LICENSE RESTORE I LAUGH ALL TH WAY TO MY HOUSE

um and this is related how? How about you go back to school and learn some proper grammar. and way to brag! because going 120 in an explorer and weaseling your way out of it is such a big accomplishment! (note the sarcasm). Be more careful/mature out there.

my 1997 ford explorer with 4.0ohv v-6 out run th. PA STATE TROOPER HE TOLD ME THAT HE COULDNOT KEEP UP WITH ME I DID A 120M.P.H IN A 55M.P.H I PLEAD NOT GUILTY I WON MY COURT CASE THE JUDGE DROP POINT OFF MY DRIVER LICENSE RESTORE I LAUGH ALL TH WAY TO MY HOUSE

So you broke the law, the state trooper didn't want to start a dangerous pursuit, and you managed to take advantage of a crappy legal system. Congratulations. I'd also take a few steps towards proper grammar, and may look into internet edict.

So you broke the law, the state trooper didn't want to start a dangerous pursuit, and you managed to take advantage of a crappy legal system. Congratulations. I'd also take a few steps towards proper grammar, and may look into internet edict.

thank you! :salute:

wow i AM GO SELL ME 2000 v8 AND GET A OHV FOR ME NOW! THAN I CAN DO A 120M.P.H. TO AND BEAT A MI STATE POLICE!

^^^ LOL thats some funny stuff right there...

Apparently not only did he break the law he broke his caps lock key as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1995 OHV 4.0 and it runs better than you can imagine, even with 250k on it.. :)

Back