• Register Today It's free!

SOHC timing chain concerns

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a '97 SOHC with 113K on the odometer. My motor runs like a champ and I have never had a problem in the 12K miles I have owned it but I do have some concerns. How loud is the noise should the cam tensioner fails. I have read many of the older posts but I am not really able to get an idea as to how loud it is when they fail. SOmetimes when I am just barely touching the accelerator, I can hear a very, VERY quiet little high pitched metal noise but only very slightly. I cannot hear anything when in idle and I have not been able to find the noise in the garage whenever I just hear it run. DO you think this is the problem or am I suffering from Medical School Students disease?? ;)
Also, if I did have to replace it with the 01M01 and 00M12 (don't know if I got those right...), how much would that cost given that it is out of the warranty?? I am just about ready to start dental school so money is a tad tight.
Thanks guys!!!
Greg

if it were the tensioners, you would hear rattling at idle. Go to Ford and ask them for the service records of the truck. They can look it up by the VIN. They should be able to tell you whether the 00m00 and 01m01 work was done.

As for your noise, check the fluid level in the transfer case.

Back