Solenoid pack in the tranny | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solenoid pack in the tranny

Jon,

If I was a betting man, I would say the problem is the OD servo. These transmissions are notorious for broken servos. But, before you do anything, check the ohms in the solenoid pack. Click on this link (http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com) and look for instructions on how to check the ohms via wiring harness before you do anything. If the solenoid pack is elimnated as the problem then I would start looking at the servos and what other recoomendations people had posted.

02exguy is correct that you can do the job without removing the exhaust.The reason I had to take the exhaust off was because a snap ring broke and I did not have enough room to pry it out. I recommend that you try to stay away from removing the exhaust. I ran into too many probems because the crossmember bolts were rusted and broke off, and the exhaust bolts stripped on me. If you have the right degree needle nose pliers you should be able to do the job within 2 hours. Andy sells them on his website.

Good luck,
Bizzs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks guys, i appreciate all the advice.

i went to the link you provided bizzs, but when i click on the pdf for the directions to check ohms it comes up with a bunch of question marks...

on a side note, has anyone purchased the part (speaking of which, if i were to purchase one from andy through his site, am i looking at the family pack thing for $209? or the od servo for $130?) and taken it to a shop to have them replace it? if so, what are they charging to do it?

thanks again guys, you've been great.
jon

Jon,

If you do a search you will find that some people purchase both servos and have their mechanic do the repair. Some people reported that they were charged $200.00 to $400.00. Before you put the cart before the horse, eliminate all other options before you purchase the servos. Check to see if the ohms are in rage in the solenoid pack (You need an ohm meter and one goes for about $7.00 at your local walmart), or try the other ideas that were posted. In a long run, it's cheeper then paying 2 or 3 grand for a rebuild. Some say this o-ring fix is just a band aid, but time will tell and I am sure we should start seeing some input in a few months if this fix fails. I have put on 2500 miles on my explorer and I am optomistic that this fix will last for a while. If it fails, I will just replace the o-ring and be on my merry way again.

good luck,
Bizzs

stupid question.....do you have to drop the catch tray in order to check the ohms on the solenoid? or is it done through the harness?

which means i wouldn't have to drop the catch tray?

i'll report back soon after i check

Back