Solenoid pack help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solenoid pack help

2025l

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer v6
I recently felt hard shifting when driving my automatic '04 explorer and determined it was the solenoid pack. So, I replaced the solenoid just how the tutorials have said and replenished the fluid from it but whenever but after I tried to reset it, it wouldn't shift gears and is stuck in first. I have tried resetting it multiple time but nothing has worked. Is this a problem with the transmission? If not what's wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently felt hard shifting when driving my automatic '04 explorer and determined it was the solenoid pack. So, I replaced the solenoid just how the tutorials have said and replenished the fluid from it but whenever but after I tried to reset it, it wouldn't shift gears and is stuck in first. I have tried resetting it multiple time but nothing has worked. Is this a problem with the transmission? If not what's wrong?

How did you determine it "was the solenoid pack"? Hard shifting is what? Rough shift events, or "hard" to get it to shift to the next higher gear?

You tried "resetting" it, resetting what??

Problem with the transmission? Hell, no, it's in the rear axle! Come on now, are you pulling our legs? imp

Threw a PO745 code to start with ABS light light on. It had a delayed shift between 2nd and 3rd. So, I changed solenoid block (BTW absolutely no shavings in the pan by the way) combined with fresh Mercon and filter. Now I only have first gear and no reverse. Bad rebuilt solenoid?

Threw a PO745 code to start with ABS light light on. It had a delayed shift between 2nd and 3rd. So, I changed solenoid block (BTW absolutely no shavings in the pan by the way) combined with fresh Mercon and filter. Now I only have first gear and no reverse. Bad rebuilt solenoid?

Try shifting it into first, and change gears manually, from 1-2 2-3 3 to D it might take a few times but try it, when I rebuild my solinoid pack for jumping into reverse I installed it back and it wouldn't shift right, after a few manual shifts it was working fine also before you do the job unplug the battery!

I 'thought' I had solenoid pack issues many moons ago: delayed 2-3 shift, 5-10 seconds to drop into reverse, and a CEL.

6 hours later, covered in ATF, new solenoid pack... same issues. Ended up with a bad-subharness that need to be dealer diagnosed...

I 'thought' I had solenoid pack issues many moons ago: delayed 2-3 shift, 5-10 seconds to drop into reverse, and a CEL.

6 hours later, covered in ATF, new solenoid pack... same issues. Ended up with a bad-subharness that need to be dealer diagnosed...

A bad experience yes. But helps us in this swirling unknown. Thanks for sharing. imp

Back