Solenoid pack in the tranny

jon71203

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB
Hey all,
So I'm looking at replacing the solenoid pack in the transmission of my 02 Eddie Bauer Explorer. Any tips before I get started? Any suggestions on where to buy/order the new pack from? Anybody in Indy that would like to help out? haha.

I'm replacing it with the hope that it will solve my recent transmission problems. my o/d light started flashing about a week ago, now the tranny is slipping and sticking in gear. any chance that simply replacing the solenoid pack will solve the problem? here's to hoping,
thanks
jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon,

To save yourself 300.00, take an ohm meter and check the resistance of the solenoids through the harness on the firewall. If the resistance is correct, then your problem is going to be the OD servo and not the solenoid pack. If the servo is bad then its going to cost you some serious cash to have the transmission overhauled. ($2000.00 to $3000.00) The 2nd alternative to repairing a bad servo is the O-ring aftermarket kit that cost 200.00, and your time. I used this kit and my tranny performs like new. The developer is a genius and Ford should buy this patent from him.The only downfall is that no one knows how many miles one will get out of this device, but its better then spending all of that money.

Best of luck,
bizzs

Can you direct me to the O ring aftermarket kit?

The codes I need pulled, can this be done by just having auto zone or any parts shop run them? or does it need to be the dealer?

thanks guys, I appreciate it
jon

I'm sure I'll sound like a complete newb and a possible idiot, but can you talk me through checking the resistance of the solenoids through the harness with an ohm meter?

The only car I've ever spent alot of time working on is my 97 jeep cherokee, when I pop the hood on my 02 explorer I feel lost.

Solenoid Failure

Most of the failed solenoid problems I have heard of, involved mechanical failure, rather than electrical. If such is the case, the coil resistance check, while valuable IF a coil has failed, will likely reveal good coils. Then, one might assume the solenoids are OK, that not being necessarily the case.

In my estimation, it is worth the time and effort to drop the pan, remove the solenoids, looking for tell-tale signs of metal, usually bronze-like flakes in appearance, often found either in the oil pan, on top of the valve body, or both. These metallic pieces indicate a failed bushing, or bushings, which guide the solenoid plunger. If no metal flakes are found, then the resistance check may be carried out.

Just MHO. imp

I just did the o-ring fix a week ago and so far so good after about 150 miles. The install is fresh in my mind if there are any questions, it wasn't as easy to do as I thought but it worked.

What is the o ring fix? any write up?
thanks

DTC's?

Original post suggested code(s) implied solenoid failure. Posting code(s) might shed more light on possibilities of failure other than solenoid-related. imp

I am at 2500 miles so far with the o-ring fix and not a hiccup. From all of my research, the best advice is to get the code first before you start spending money. I had the P0775 code and after I did my research, I tossed the coin and chose the servo fix. I made the right decision and saved myself 300.00 from puchasing a solenoid. The OD servo was cracked just like some of the pictures that are posted on the internet. I wish I would have taken some pictures to show others the problems that I ran into. For example, rust bolts-broken bolts on crossmember, exhaust etc. The easiest part of the job was installing the servos. One of the snap rings broke and the other came right off.

Good luck,
bizzs

I'll get the codes today and report back....thanks guys, thanks a ton
jon

Hey all,
just ran and had the codes pulled. it only threw one code
P0775
what am i looking at?
thanks
jon

Just went through a complete rebuild of the transmission, around $2400. Broken bands, servo (one of the two), no second gear, wouldn't shift to 3rd and so on. It had been complaining for the last 15,000 miles, finally gave out at 75K. Now it runs like a champ with a 3 year warranty. The solenoid was replaced as well (the reverse was still thunk-ing) even though the continuity checked ok. I can post a list of parts if interested (that were replaced). Hopefully your problems are more minor than mine.

any suggestions?
o-ring fix?
solenoid pack?

thanks a ton

The thread in post # 15 suggests to check the bands to see if they are broken or out of adjustment. Did you check the internal wiring harness point to point with a continuity tester? What about the connection on the bulkhead connector?

I haven't checked the wiring harness or the connection on the bulkhead connector.

At the risk of sounding like a complete newb again, any help or write ups you can point me to do to this would be much appreciated. Like i said, i was really comfortable working on my 97 jeep cherokee, but under the hood of the explorer, i feel a bit lost.

thanks all
jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had code p0775 and o/d light flashing and delayed 1-2 shift. All I did was replace both servos with the o-ringed servos and all those problems disappeared. All I had to remove to get access to the servos was the 2 exhaust heat shields. I did not touch the exhaust or trans crossmember that others said they removed. Took a little bit to remove the snap rings from servo covers but I did get them off. I didn't check anything else or replace anything else. I dropped the trans pan a week later to change filter and fluid and found no parts or pieces in pan.

Back