Solid AXLE SWAP (IM BACK!!!!!!!!) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid AXLE SWAP (IM BACK!!!!!!!!)

Well sorry I havn't posted in so long. Well here it is. Oh
and just in case your wondering, ya I will have updated photo's for my external/internal roll cage cut off the roof
project in no more than two weeks (that's when it should be finished.

Now I have been doing some offroading here lately and have had some bad luck, includin vreaking three hubs then two axles. So after I got frustrated I did something horrible, its called starting a new project without finishing the first one, but what the hell.

I am installing a front dana 44 / high pinion axle assembly with a spool/ oh and don't forget 5.13 gears in the front out of a full size 1979 F-150, and a Ford 9 Inch diff in the rear / with a spool / 5.13 gears. Last but not least I will not be cutting down the axles, I will be running full wifth axles ( only adds 3 inches on each side).

here are the pics

9352fx1.jpg

9352fx2.jpg

9352fx4.jpg

9352fx5.jpg

9352fx6.jpg

9352fx3.jpg

9352fx8.jpg

9352fx9.jpg

9352fx10.jpg

9352fx12.jpg

9352fx13.jpg

9352fx15.jpg

9352fx16.jpg

9352fx17.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I won't be driving it much on the road, I usually trailer it, and I can guarentee that I won't be driving it on the highway (since I made my own driveshafts they are not balanced properly). But the little that I have driven it, it seems to drive and steer fine, I can not tell a difference at this point in time. It articulates about a 150 percent better. I am ready to use it offroad.:D

the tranny cooler was added a while back when I burned it up in Arizona. After the overhaul I realized what killed it was not so much parts failure as it was heat building up in it from me turning those 35's. So I added a heavy duty cooler to try in help it out by allowing more fluid in the system and larger core to disperse the heat. So far its holding up fine and I have been hammering on it everytime I go out.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

LOOKS GREAT!!!

MAN MIKE IT LOOKS REALLY GOOD!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT IN PERSON AND SEE HOW SHE DOES OFF ROAD. NO MORE BUSTED AXLES!!!! I DON'T KNOW IF YOU GOT THE PICS FROM THE OTHER WEEKEND, HERE THEY ARE. BRING IT BY THE HOUSE SOON SO I CAN CHECK IT OUT. DREW

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/drew148bhpr1/my_photos

hey drew, i got a 88 xj tat i just biought. i it to go big too. am thinking of 4.5 to fit 33s. what do u think? i see u got 10 in ch of lift on there.

i was fitting 35's with a 6.5" lift on my 85 cherokee but i had done alot of body cutting. you should be alright but you will have to cut a little. drew

Nice! keep the picts comming:D

Thnx for the compliments. Hey Drew I'm thinking of going out to Gilmer next Sunday (not the one coming up but the one after) to test out the rig. You wanna follow me out and do a one day deal?

can you give me some details on your axles? I went to my local 4x4 shop and discovered they couldn't get a full spool for my 9" rear with 28 spline shafts. Did you manage to get a 31 spline 9" axle? On your D44 what was the spline count on it? My guy was saying that a full spool for D44 was gonna be like $200 easily. I know I have seen full spools on Ebay for under $100 on the 9" but honestly have never seen one for the D44. He was trying to talk me out of spooling the front until I said I was going to be running a D20 twin sticked.

Any info would be helpful. I am still shocked at the prices I was quoted and the inability to get the 28 spline spool. Course they tried to talk me into a mini-spool, which I passed on without discussion.

jack, find a full width truck or 78-newer bronco rear, and pull the axles for next to nothing price wise. ship them to Moser, and they will cut them down to EB width for $100 a pair. cheapest 31 spline upgrade on the market.

Alaskan Jack, I have a 31 spline 9 inch, but if I were you I would just get a minispool for 28 spline axles my friend has em in his race car so I know they are available, and you might double check with jegs and summit racing equipment for a full spool (even with the 28 spline) cause that don't right. Someone has to have a full spool for a 9 inch 28 spline.

I have a 31 spline 9 inch diff in rear and a 30 spline dana 44 front diff out of a 1979 f-150 4x4. My 9 inch spool was $190.00 the dana 44 full spool was $214.00 bothe were bought at 4wheel parts via mail order division with their lifetime unconditional warranty.

You're sure insistant on those 28 splines, aren't ya? ;) I'd bump up to 31 or 35 spline axles while I had the chance, but that's just me. Axles aren't expensive.

ironically, the spooled 28 splines are about the only thing that i have never broken. they are weak, but they've lived for 4 years in mine behind a 300hp windsor and a spool. still, going 31 is better if you can do it. honestly, i would go the cut down truck axle route. remember, if you buy a 28 spline spool now, it will be worthless in a year when you want 31's.

James, I think you are right; just had to harass Kurt a little while I had the chance. ;)
I don't seriously think 28 splines are that bad. My father-in-law runs a Currie 31 spline 9" with a Detroit locker and 400hp with 38.5 tires and never a hickup from the rear end.

Well guys I want to run the 28 spline until they break and since I can get a full spool for $75 then why not it will allow me to get out wheeling sooner and allow me to do what I want as far as the 4 link up front. I have talked with guys up here running the 28 spline axles and they agree with me run them until they break. Wheeling up here is quite a bit different than down there.

I will be looking for some OE 31 spline shafts to cut down. I will just have to see how things go. I spent some time talking with a guy that run 38's and a full spool on his 28 spline and he has not broken anything and this set up has been like this for 4 yrs. I was surprised cause this guy is nuts as far as wheeling goes.

So Kent for now yes I am sticking with the 28 spline Full spool and 5.13 gears and 36's. Course we will have to see how this stands up the the weight of the Explorer and behind the C4 and D20 twin sticked.

while your at it, here is some super-cheap insurance and pretty bling too. :p

Originally posted by james t
while your at it, here is some super-cheap insurance and pretty bling too. :p

That's next on the list for FIL's BII when I get my welder over to his house. Looks sweet too.

Dont you have to be real careful when welding a backbone on the axle?? I chatted with some guys that were talking about warping axle tubes from welding on brace

Just have to tack weld in place then weld in stages to prevent warpage.

do it just like a patch panel on bodywork. spot at a time, on opposite ends. do your spots as if you were torqing down a wheel... all opposite from each other. if you just start running a bead from one end to the other, then yes you will warp a tube.

Back