Solid Dana 44 q's not yet answered..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid Dana 44 q's not yet answered.....

or at least I couldn't find the answers anywhere.

What are the spacings on the c-bushing mounts for the full size 44s? I am researching putting a coil spring FS 44 under a 97 Ranger and cutting the passenger side tube down to EB axle length. If I cut the tube between the c-bushing mount and the diff down by aprox. 6" will the c-bushing mounts be spaced correctly? Or does the drivers side bushing mount need to be moved as well to center the axle and provide the correct spacing for the stock Ranger coil buckets?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as you are cutting the tube where it connects to the center section, the distance between the mounting points for the control arms and the nuckles will not change. the axle will center it self, with a tracking bar, no matter how far apart the "tabs" are... just make sure the distance between them and the nuckles is the same on both sides.

The 79 dana 44 im using has cast pieces that incorperate the nuckles and the tabs in one so i dont have to worry about anything.

OK, I see what you are saying. You are talking about the distance between the c-bushing mounts and the knuckles, correct?
Maybe I didn't explain my question correctly. I am asking about the spacing between the 2 coil-spring mounts (even though I was saying c-bushing mounts).
After the right side tube is cut down between the spring mount and the center section, will the spring mounts, on the axle, be the same distance apart as the coil-spring buckets (on the side of the frame) so the springs set correctly-- like this l l not like this / \ or this \ / (when looking at them from the front of the vehicle? If not, how far are they off? Do the c-bushing mounts on the axle need to be relocated to make the springs line up correctly?
Thanx.

Oh Ok! from what i have seen most peoples look like this \ / some more than others, not sure what each is doing differently. I may try to off-set the retaining cups a little and re-enforce underneath them. not sure \ / <--- is a biggie though.

That's one of the reasons that I decided to just go with coilovers instead, so I wouldn't have to woory about the coil alignment, bucket modification, and/or lower coil adapter.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm gonna call national spring here sometime in Feb, and see if they can wind me a set of coils that are expo size for the body and just flair out (instead of in) at the bottom to attach to the bronco cups

does anybody think that the \ / will be a biggie problem??

Those of you whos coils set like this \ / have you not relocated the mount on the tube (just shortened the tube)??

Back