• Register Today It's free!

**Solon, IA 600 Acres FINAL RUN**

qcrun98

Reaction score
City, State
Moline, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Well guys as some of you may know 600 acres in Solon, IA is being shut down to full size rigs. It will be a atv/dirtbike park only. We are having a final run on Saturday February 4, 2006. You guys are all welcome to come down. Its nothing to hard. Kinda like a mini cliffs. A few nice hill climbs. A few creek crossings and lots of mud. There is also some sand. To be honest cliffs is 32 times better. But its the only park in iowa. For lunch or dinner we hit the local mom and pop dive. Jonseys Grille home of the best and Iowa largest tenderloin. Its so good it'll knock the tread right off your swampers. For those of you that interested its 45 mins west of the Mississippi River on I-80.

Solon OHV Park is located 10 mins north of I-80 just before Iowa City, IA. the park was 600 acres and has been narrowed to like 400 or so. Like I said not to tuff but its fun and something to do.

Below are some pics from the past of the park to give you an idea of what it looks like.
solon032605081.jpg

solon032605010.jpg

solon52105012.jpg

0e720580.jpg

solon52105048.jpg

0e420580.jpg

DSC01635.jpg

DSC01695.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

picture018.jpg

chris097.jpg

PullingBrentout1.jpg

So far we have about 15 people going to show up. Hope to see you there to send 600 acres out with a bang.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You just showed me why I never want to move to the old family farm in Iowa, MUD. I hate that stuff. Although it looks like it could be a fun time there. To bad it is closing to trucks though.

Fun starts as soon as the sun comes up. Some are gunna be there at 7:30am. We'll pry be there for the whole day.

Some Solon Picts for you BII owners

Hey guys watch this.....oh sh.........

solon52105062.jpg

solon52105061.jpg

previous runs

solon52105062.jpg

Yeah BIIs'll do that!

Man I knew there was some talk about closing it off to trucks, but I thought it had died off. I'm really gonna miss that place. I first went out there in 01 with my 97 F150. Later I got out there with my Ranger. I guess the Explorer won't ever see it. I wheeled there about 6 times a year or so. I went to college with a friend (bogger on rrorc) and he lived just north of there so the two of us were out there alot. I wish I'd been able to wheel there one last time. The only other place in Iowa is down south of Des Moines, but its private land to CI4WA.

I think it's getting shut down because the Iowa DNR is taking over the park from the Army Corps and the DNR doesn't want the laiability, and extra responsibility for having full size vehicals out there.

THE HAPPY TRAIL!!!!!!!! Been awhile, and I see someone repainted the smiley face. Last time I was out there about 2 years ago it was barely visable. Did they have all of the creek bed fenced off now? After they fenced off the bottoms they ran it about half of the way up along the creek on the West border. It looked like they were eventually going to keep going and cut off the park even with the creek bed up to the road.

Ok, why pull it down? The thing has been the unique feature of that trail for the 5-6 years that I've gone there. No wonder the DNR wanted it closed down to trucks.

Looks like you guys had a good time. To bad they are shutting it dow to trucks. Always hurts to see places to go being shut down.

I bet that broncoII could have driven out of that. Turn a bit to the left and give it a little gas and it looks like it would have come right down.

ya, i don't know why they did it either.... i think they were mad about it be'n closed, but thats still no excuse.... it was a cool feature, thats why i got a pict of it. It's too bad there's people like that. And it was pulled down by a chevy too..... cause they were stupid enough to video tape it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back