Some wheel work for my X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some wheel work for my X

My X has some crap wheels on it. So I got some different factory wheels. But wanted black. Soooo, here is what I did so far...

The new wheels:

IMG_0491.JPG

What they started as:

IMG_0492.JPG

First bit of sanding:

IMG_0493.JPG

Ready for primer:

IMG_0494.JPG

Primed, and awaiting paint and clear:

IMG_0499.JPG

The stuff:

IMG_0497.JPG

I will take a before and after of the truck as well!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, some progress...

First off the truck, and why she wants new wheels:

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

Now, here's the final product, thought the flash makes them look different. On the truck in a couple days will look nice!

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

good job guy, can't wait to see a pic of them on ur truck

Here they are painted and ready for tires!

IMG_0510.JPG

that looks awesome, cant wait to see what it looks like back on the X.

I would love to do that to my 92's wheels, they have UGLY-ASS tan accents or w/e from the eddie bauer paint lol.

They have the wheel-weights and all that on there, so idk if I should sand and all that around those..or what? Any ideas?

I sand it all up. I start with 220 on the imperfections, then go to 400, then 800.
Just work in close to the weights and get them as best you can. Make sure you use a good etching primer. You may even want to use the adhesion promoter before the primer as well.

After a week, I give them a light wet-sand with 1000 grit and one more coat of clear. Then another light sanding and polish. They are a smooth and shiny as the body!

Here it is finally...

expl.jpg

Sticky! Sticky! Sticky!

Looks awesome man! Seriously those are some sweet looking wheels.

How much paint did you go through and what would you say the estimated cost would be? My wheels are in dire need of a fresh coat of paint.

I used 1 1/2 cans of paint, and one can of clear. 1 can of primer, and one adhesion promoter. Cost me about $60. Another two cans of paint would do two more sets of wheels with what I have left of everything else.

The primer and adhesion promoter is the expensive part. I use a self etching primer, with a separate adhesion promoter. About $20/can. You can get a combo primer/AP for about $20 too.

Thanks!

ive always had good luck just using etching primer on a scuffed wheel, and a wheel paint or ceramic based paint. a set of wheels i rattlecanned with ceramic engine enamel has held up alot better than a set of wheels i had powdercoated.

..its all in the prepwork. congrats on a job well done.

I used 1 1/2 cans of paint, and one can of clear. 1 can of primer, and one adhesion promoter. Cost me about $60. Another two cans of paint would do two more sets of wheels with what I have left of everything else.

The primer and adhesion promoter is the expensive part. I use a self etching primer, with a separate adhesion promoter. About $20/can. You can get a combo primer/AP for about $20 too.

Thanks!

Sweetness.

Would you mind if I did a video how to on this? Ill definitely give you credit though.

Go ahead. I've seen the ones you've done over at RPS!

Well I hope they helped out. Ive got a lot more on here. Check my sig.

looks GREAT man!!

Man, looking at those pics and cant believe how good those turned out!

Do you think that sand blasting would work better than sanding?

How much time would you say you spent sanding each wheel?

Sand blasting I think may be worse. Too much pitting on the surface.

I spent about 10-15 minutes on each wheel.

Sanding it is. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good! I've got a set of Jeep 5 spokes I am gonna put on mine soon and I have thought about doing the same thing to them. I had the black Crager wheels on there and loved the way they looked, but I didnt feel like doing all of the work to the jeep wheels. You may of changed my mind:scratch:

Back