• Register Today It's free!

Someone please help!!!

mlcase27

Reaction score
City, State
lagrange indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I have a 94 explorer. My problem is that when I am driving (at any speed) I hear I kinda thumping sound and a grinding sound together. I have checked the wheel bearings and re pact them but its still there. Now for the stump-er, when I turn right, the noise goes away completely but when I straiten the wheel or turn left it gets loader...wtf? also if I jerk the wheel to the right without turning it goes away. could it be in the steering some ware/Please help me before I am forced to take it to an over priced garage! Arggg.

put the front up on jack stands, reach your hand into the cut outs in the axle, and grab the axle shaft. Spin the tire forward a few revs, then reverse a few revs. the axle shaft should not move at all. next, hold the tire sold and spin the shaft a few rotations forward and reverse, spinning the shaft should cause the hub to engage and try to spin the tire, a few revs the other direction should unlock it. If spinning the tire causes the shaft to rotate also, you have a problem with your hubs. If you do some searching there are a few posts on cleaning them up. The usual cause for a problem with the hubs is junk getting in there and locking them in.

Back