VinceL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hey Rebecca,

I was wondering if the following 'characteristic' of the Sony stereo in our Limited is going to be addressed. The issue is how loud the stereo gets when turning the volume up from what I think is the 4th to the 5th little hash mark down in the Entertainment quadrant. It is a huge volume increase, and it is really annoying! :) I would hope the Sony audio engineers understand that the human ear is more sensitive to changes in loudness at lower listening volumes, and less so when the volume is cranked up. The problem here is, the 4th hash is fine, but the 5th is way too loud. It sucks because that bridge is right where comfortable conversation with music in the back ground exists. Does it have something to do with the auto volume compensation being out of wack. I will do some experimenting to see if different settings help the issue. I realize it is a seemingly small nitpick, but it is actually one of the most irritating things about our car, but it is noticeable, annoying, and guaranteed reproducible, without any work arounds at all (so far....). So I guess what I am looking for is a smoother, flatter slope on the volume increase at lower settings and ramping up to a steeper slope when the jams are pumpin'!

Thanks for listening Rebecca :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does the unit have an equalizer setting?
if so, set the levels a bit lower, and the harshness will change,

not like this,
+Audio+Codec+2.47+Equalizer+Settings+Audio+Manager.jpg

like this,
truck_equalizer.jpg

Thanks corkey, but the Sony unit has nothing that useful, not that I have found at least. All we get are Treble, Mid, and Bass sliders :)

VinceL,
Try turning down the speed compensating volume control. It seemed to work for me or I've gotten used to it. I now have it set at three.

The issue is how loud the stereo gets when turning the volume up from what I think is the 4th to the 5th little hash mark down in the Entertainment quadrant. It is a huge volume increase, and it is really annoying! :)

This same issue exists on the premium system in the XLT. My wife and I have been complaining about it since the first week we had the car. 4 is too quiet to hear the music at highway speeds, and 5 is too loud to have a conversation, It's not just between 4 and 5, it's between every 5th mark it seems (like between 9 and 10 does the same)

Thanks GWA1, I'll give that a try to see if it sounds better :)

13Sport, I didn't realize it did it on the other stereos and at other volumes also. It is something small, but really irritating, especially since we always have the radio on, whether it be music or talk.

Hey Rebecca,

I was wondering if the following 'characteristic' of the Sony stereo in our Limited is going to be addressed. The issue is how loud the stereo gets when turning the volume up from what I think is the 4th to the 5th little hash mark down in the Entertainment quadrant. It is a huge volume increase, and it is really annoying! :) I would hope the Sony audio engineers understand that the human ear is more sensitive to changes in loudness at lower listening volumes, and less so when the volume is cranked up. The problem here is, the 4th hash is fine, but the 5th is way too loud. It sucks because that bridge is right where comfortable conversation with music in the back ground exists. Does it have something to do with the auto volume compensation being out of wack. I will do some experimenting to see if different settings help the issue. I realize it is a seemingly small nitpick, but it is actually one of the most irritating things about our car, but it is noticeable, annoying, and guaranteed reproducible, without any work arounds at all (so far....). So I guess what I am looking for is a smoother, flatter slope on the volume increase at lower settings and ramping up to a steeper slope when the jams are pumpin'!

Thanks for listening Rebecca :)

Hi, VinceL and 13Sport!

I sent this information to my support. If I hear anything more about it, I'll be sure to let you know. :)

Rebecca

As always, thanks Rebecca :)

Thanks for posting this one VinceL, and passing this on Rebecca.

This has been a annoyance for me as well. Its really a problem when your trying to set the ambiance with some background music and its required that you maintain a conversation at the same time. This one goes in the top part of my list of fixes I'd like to see.

VinceL,
Try turning down the speed compensating volume control. It seemed to work for me or I've gotten used to it. I now have it set at three.

VinceL,
I was incorrect. My speed compensating volume control set on four.
Another thing to try, and I haven't yet, is to adjust fade to the front or back a little if it's just two of you. My radio is set on stereo not surround if that matters. I personally think it sounds better.

I turned off our volume compensation and it made it ever so slightly better, so it does have a small effect.

Thanks for posting this one VinceL, and passing this on Rebecca.

This has been a annoyance for me as well. Its really a problem when your trying to set the ambiance with some background music and its required that you maintain a conversation at the same time. This one goes in the top part of my list of fixes I'd like to see.

As always, thanks Rebecca :)

You're both very welcome!

Rebecca

Back