Sooo, what issue do I have?

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
Lately I am having an issue with finding drive, park, and reverse on my truck. it will go it, put I have to move the selector around a to find the gear, then it clicks into place. It is almost on the stop for each gear. I know there are 2 adjustments, on the transmission, of the length of wire has stretched, or on the selector it's self to align the selection. I know the selection is off on all, park is in the beginning of Reverse, Reverse in at the beginning of Neutral, Neutral seems to work just find, but Drive is also all the way to the right. So what exactly do I need to adjust?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you may also want to make sure the 2 torx bolts that hold up shifter parts under the dash haven't loosened up or fallen out. this has been know to cause shifter related problems.

you may also want to make sure the 2 torx bolts that hold up shifter parts under the dash haven't loosened up or fallen out. this has been know to cause shifter related problems.

Cool, thanks, I'll check it out. I figure that hopefully it will continue to work, until it warms up here, because when it does I am replacing the bulbs in my cluster with LEDs, so I'll take care of the shifter at that time as well.

Cool, thanks, I'll check it out. I figure that hopefully it will continue to work, until it warms up here, because when it does I am replacing the bulbs in my cluster with LEDs, so I'll take care of the shifter at that time as well.

Actually, to adjust the shifter display, you don't need to take the cluster out. Under the dash there's a cable that goes to the shifter and display. There's a little plastic white piece there with a black wheel.
Turn that wheel to adjust the direction so the display is right.

Actually, to adjust the shifter display, you don't need to take the cluster out. Under the dash there's a cable that goes to the shifter and display. There's a little plastic white piece there with a black wheel.
Turn that wheel to adjust the direction so the display is right.

I know, but I am a big guy it will be much easier to get to it with some hings out of the way... lol

If you do a search on the selector wheel you will find the fix on the forum. The actual part is ridiculously expensive. The white clip holding the adjuster wheel on mine was snapped but was still on the wire. I took to small nuts out of assortment box and screwed them into each end of the black adjustment wheel compressing the two broken white pieces and it fixed my gear selector.

I know, but I am a big guy it will be much easier to get to it with some hings out of the way... lol

Well, it's easy to get to if you remove the panel under the steering wheel.

4 screws on the bottom for the plastic one, then it clips in.
Then like 6 screws to take off the metal panel.

I'm sure you know this, though.

Well, it's easy to get to if you remove the panel under the steering wheel.

4 screws on the bottom for the plastic one, then it clips in.
Then like 6 screws to take off the metal panel.

I'm sure you know this, though.

Yea, I know, I actually should have updated this. On Friday, sure enough the goldish looking bolt fell onto my foot, and sure enough I was not able to get my truck into park. So I spent about 45 minutes putting the bolt back it. I still don't understand why there are so many bolts holding in that metal plate, but whatever, I fixed it. My shifter now super solid, it drops into gear every time, even better then before, and I also adjusted the alignment on the selector. The shifer has never felt this solid since I have owned the truck. I am really happy, and glad it was at least 40 degrees when I had to do this.

If you do a search on the selector wheel you will find the fix on the forum. The actual part is ridiculously expensive. The white clip holding the adjuster wheel on mine was snapped but was still on the wire. I took to small nuts out of assortment box and screwed them into each end of the black adjustment wheel compressing the two broken white pieces and it fixed my gear selector.

Thankfully mine was intact. it is perfect now, couldn't be happier. :D

Back