auto tranny will not slip into Park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

auto tranny will not slip into Park

Diabolic86

Reaction score
City, State
KC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport 2wd
the selector and arm is off somehow. this happened out of nowhere. when the guage says it is in Park, it is actually in reverse.....reverse is neutral, neutral is drive, and so forth. how can i fix this? one thing to note is that the arm has no more room to go up physically for the needle to rest on the "P" in the guage. the arm goes all the way up but the needle is always one step behind. i dont know what to do. i would think this would be a quick fix inside the steering column but i dont want to go ripping things apart without having some kind of direction. can someone please explain this to me and help me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had a look at the inhibitor switch? Maybe it has come lose and is pulling forward

have you found a large bolt on the floor?

Thankyou so much!

this was exactly the problem. once i found the screw it took about 10 mins to find the right star key and fix it. my hand's pretty cramped though. there is no room to work in there. thanks for the pointer! couldnt have done it without u!

Back