Sound after sitting a while | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sound after sitting a while

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep. Any time I touch a door handle and/or open a door.

I am going to pop the hood and try again. It is definitely coming from the top of the firewall under the hood.

Yea... Mine makes all sorts of sounds once the vehicle is shut off. I really do not think it is anything to worry about.

I think we are starting to drift off track. The OP's question was; "After sitting for a while when you go to open the door does anyone her a mechanical sound like something moving?"

Peter

I think we are starting to drift off track. The OP's question was; "After sitting for a while when you go to open the door does anyone her a mechanical sound like something moving?"

Peter

No, my videos are taken right after the door opens and closes. Once the sounds stop, if I open the door again, it starts all over.

018158AA-971A-43B7-B036-1FB489F81123.jpeg

Yes to both of these scenarios. 100% linked to the door (any door) opening.

I wonder if this sound is for every ST, or only for a few posters on here.

Since I have had my 2020 Explorer ST, I have noticed that after the car sits for 30ish minutes, when I open the drivers door, there is a grinding noise coming from under the vehicle.

Sounds like the gears of a pump grinding or clicking.

The link is to a video of my issue.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UisU881PFV4vHbUz7

Dealer said it was the air suspension system priming. I didn't even know it had air suspension and it certainly shouldn't sound like that regardless.

Since I have had my 2020 Explorer ST, I have noticed that after the car sits for 30ish minutes, when I open the drivers door, there is a grinding noise coming from under the vehicle.

Dealer said it was the air suspension system priming. I didn't even know it had air suspension and it certainly shouldn't sound like that regardless.

Your thread has been merged with the existing thread on this exact topic. It does not have air suspension and is normal based on everyone else confirming theirs does it too.

Your thread has been merged with the existing thread on this exact topic. It does not have air suspension and is normal based on everyone else confirming theirs does it too.
My issue is an entirely different thing. I understand the fuel system priming and relays turning on.

If you watch my video and listen, you will hear that there is a loud grinding noise, separate from what this thread is referring to.

My issue is an entirely different thing. I understand the fuel system priming and relays turning on.

If you watch my video and listen, you will hear that there is a loud grinding noise, separate from what this thread is referring to.

At what moment are you hearing the sound in the video. Yours is making a bunch and just want to make sure. The normal clicking I hear.. I hear a different sound at about 16 seconds and then you move your phone closer around 28 seconds and there is another long sound that sounds like buzzing.

I'll have to check mine tonight. Is this happening when you go to open your door or just random sounds while it just sits? And if while it just sits, how long after you close the door from parking do you hear these sounds?.

I def don’t have buzzing like you have there. I do have the clicks heard in the first part of the video but I have no idea about that buzzing.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Sounds like it's possessed.;)
As blwnsmoke mentioned, there is no air suspension in the Explorer.

Peter

Sounds to me as well like it could be a pump grinding. Common for modern cars to prime the fuel pump when a door is opened.
I'd pull the fuel pump relay and see if it still does it.

After sitting for a while when you go to open the door does anyone her a mechanical sound like something moving?
I have the same noise. Also wondering if it’s normal. My 2018 didn’t make these noises. It’s sounds like it’s right under the drivers side behind the wheel.

I have those exact sounds in the new aviator. on top of that, the air suspension has its own sounds with the valves and then the pump at times. I’m chalking this up as 100% normal, must be relays, fuel pump and it’s relays, and accessory power. remember, our vehicles practically have an alternate accessory power when you open the door... i know our aviator does as it will power up the screens and display the cloud animation everytime you open the door. also, it leaves on the accessory power a while after shutting the vehicle off and closing the door without locking the vehicle.

i’m gonna bet its all normal but those are the exact sounds i hear (from your video).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I recently bought the Explorer ST model, and now when I open the drivers side door, after the car has been sitting for minimum of 30 minutes, the car sounds like an old PC booting up, and having issues doing it.. I get it that the computer in the car may need to boot up out of sleep mode, but it sounds awful. Ford is telling me that this might be a normal sound, but I have to disagree. This is not their low end cost vehicle model, and it should be more quiet. Does anyone have this issue.

Back