Spark Plug Boot Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Boot Question

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hey everyone. I recently got the code P0304 which indicates a misfire in cylinder 4, and I can feel the truck misfiring at start up. It goes away after about 30 seconds when the engine warms up. I had the plugs and wires replaced about 2 years ago and I just noticed that the boot on plug #4 isn’t seated all the way. It must have somehow backed off over time.
EC9CF79F-B20B-45CD-A85C-5F2CBF85E129.jpeg

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I’m wondering if that’s what’s causing the misfire. I’ve tried to push it onto the plug but it won’t budge. My next step would be to replace the spark plug and wire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks like # 6 cylinder pictured there. Check the one closest to the front of the engine on the same side.

That looks like # 6 cylinder pictured there. Check the one closest to the front on the same side.

I followed the wire from the coil pack marked 4. I thought the sohc had plug 4 at the front?

^^^^^This Plus
O P your sig says ohv and the pic look's like the rear of an ohv drivers side...

Osk5LUg.jpg

Yes, it’s the ohv. I’ll follow the wire again to check.

OHV firing order - same as SOHC

sparkwiresohv-jpg.jpg

I had the plugs and wires replaced about 2 years ago and I just noticed that the boot on plug #4 isn’t seated all the way. It must have somehow backed off over time. I’m wondering if that’s what’s causing the misfire. I’ve tried to push it onto the plug but it won’t budge. My next step would be to replace the spark plug and wire.
Well...it's likely just sitting there next to the spark plug (that's likely corroded over time) isn't helping things function as they could?

I'd try looking inside the (relatively-new) wire boot. If you haven't bent/broken the inner, metal ring by trying to muscle it onto the plug (?), then it should still be "good"? Make sure the tip of the plug isn't damaged/badly-corroded/or-such. Put some di-electric grease inside the plug boot and (with) GENTLE pressure/twisting-PARALLEL to the plug tip might allow the boot to seat correctly (for the first time?)

(My guess) Perhaps the boot was NEVER SEATED FULLY since your plugs/wires were replaced? Road vibrations could easily have unseated the partially-seated boot over time until the misfire eventually occurred.

Just my $0.02.

If the boot isn't damaged/still won't seat: Try "expanding" the inner ring with the opened, single-jaw of a needle-nose plier (slightly). That, plus the di-electric grease, might be just-enough to get it to grab the plug (like it should have been since your repairs.)

Back