Spark Plug Change - 13YRS/45K Miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Change - 13YRS/45K Miles

ihpj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 UK SOHC Explorer
First up, have to give a big shout out to 'Howard' for his help in changing the plugs on my Explorer - couldn't have done it without him! WOO! Thank You :D

Now my Ex. has covered only 45k genuine miles from new and has 98% ford Main Dealer S/H (Allen Ford Group) - and as far as I can see, it has been religiously serviced according to Ford schedules, the plugs have never been done [as the change interval is 100K miles].

I was nervous about tackling this job due the things that can go wrong - and as the plugs had never been changed, was concerned about them breaking in my attempts to remove them. Thankfully, it was quite a straightforward procedure in the end. They all came out with a combination of patience and know-how and I post pictures of each plug removed:

plug1.jpg

plug2.jpg

plug3.jpg

plug4.jpg

plug5.jpg

plug6.jpg

I was surprised to see the condition of the plugs after they had likely been in the car since new (13 years and 45K miles): they were all uniform in appearance and showed good life. Now it is unlikely that the plugs will need changing during my ownership but it gives me confidence that these Motorcraft Platinum plugs are actually quite good.

(I replaced like with like on mine as I picked up a set off six Motorcraft Platinum plugs from Buckingham Ford on eBay for £15 recently)

£15 is cheeeeeap. I had to pay a whole £19 for my NGK platinums
Mine also hadn't been changed b4 and at 97k the tips were practically gone and the gap was IIRC about 1.8!!
Just shows with the right tools wrenching isn't really that hard:D

Back