• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Wire

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
Is it necessary to change Spark Plug Wire every time when Spark Plug is changed? I had my Spark Plug changed and the mechnics told me that the wire need to be changed also. I don't want to spend if it is not necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No it's not necessary to changethe plug wires everytime you change the plugs. When was the last time the wires were changed mileage wise?

I don't remember that Spark Plug has been changed before. It could be the first time and the EB is at 105K.

It sounds like you have the original plug wires. In that case they do need to be changed.

Thanks for the response. Is changing the wires difficult? Can it be done by myself? I am not a mechnics but I would like to save some money to start doing some maintainance work by myself. If it could be done by myself, any particular brand is recommended? I saw some online store which carries various wire set which ranges from $40 to $100. Thanks again for the advice.

What engine do you have?

As for plug wires stick with Motorcraft. The cheap parts store barand wires don't last anytime at all. I've made that mistake.

My engine is 5.0 V8 and the truck is 98 Eddie Bauer AWD.

The plugs are pretty simple to do on a 5.0

Remove the front tires, remove the rubber fender liner held on with 5-6 push pins and you will have easy access to the plugs. The wires are a little difficult do to because of how they are routed but not terribly bad.

THank you very much for the help!

Just to give you an idea, if you pull the front tires off, and pull the splash guards off that are in there, this is what you'll see.

Passenger side

IMG_0427.jpg

Driver side

IMG_0426.jpg

Clearance

IMG_0415.jpg

Very easy to get to on a V8 with very simple tools.

Do the plug wires one at a time, don't unplug them all at the same time- makes it easier to not mess up the placement on the coil to maintain correct firing order.

My procedure: Pull old wire off plug, pull old plug, put in new plug, put on lower boot of new wire, fish old and new wire up top, unplug top of old wire from coil, plug in top of new wire to coil. Foolproof. :)\

Motorcraft wires, Motorcraft or Autolite plugs. (Unless you want to redo them shortly) and whatever you do- stay away from Bosch plugs.

You are my hero, Joe!

My $.02 use some dielectric grease on the plug wires where they slip over the plugs. It will make them easier to remove later on and supposedly helps connectivity for passing the electric charge to the plug.

For what it's worth, taking off the wheels will give you great access, BUT it is very doable if you leave the wheels on (but ditch the soft splash guards as Joe mentioned).

I am arguably the worst mechanic on the site and find the plug change on the 5.0 to be a piece of cake. I've done it twice with wheels intact. You just need long extensions for your sockets (I bought a cheap set at a parts store in Wisconsin for under $20).

Dielectric grease on each plug (and at the coil pack end of the wire) for easy boot removal and a little anti-seize on the threads is highly recommended too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I searched Rock and found two wire set from Motorcraft, one is with Cast Manifold and the other is with DIS Tubular Manifold. Which one should I order for 98 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD?

You need the ones for the tubular exhaust manifold.

For what it's worth, taking off the wheels will give you great access, BUT it is very doable if you leave the wheels on (but ditch the soft splash guards as Joe mentioned).

I am arguably the worst mechanic on the site and find the plug change on the 5.0 to be a piece of cake. I've done it twice with wheels intact. You just need long extensions for your sockets (I bought a cheap set at a parts store in Wisconsin for under $20).

Dielectric grease on each plug (and at the coil pack end of the wire) for easy boot removal and a little anti-seize on the threads is highly recommended too.
Posted via Mobile Device

For manly sized men like Joe & I removing the wheels is mandatory :D

I agree- I'm not a tiny like Celly... :D

I've really (seriously) not understood the "don't pull the wheel" thing. For the effort involved to take it off, why try to fight around the wheel? It just makes life easier. Lets you look things over too.

I am arguably the worst mechanic on the site and find the plug change on the 5.0 to be a piece of cake.

Wait- do you have cake?
oc6c1Ub_GC9U5DzWauEg-z050DvCItt8LG1PwAIL0JZU0w&t=1.png

I've really (seriously) not understood the "don't pull the wheel" thing. For the effort involved to take it off, why try to fight around the wheel? It just makes life easier. Lets you look things over too.

Well, for one I don't have jackstands or a decent jack. Not everyone does.

Just saying.

Eric (techieman) showed me just how easy it was to pull the plugs without pulling your wheels just before I left Kansas. OK, we had the wheels off to do the headers etc, but he gave me a crash course on changing plugs not long before we headed up to Topeka (wheels were back on) and it really is simple to do with the wheels intact.

Oh yeah, it would be way simpler without the wheels, but it's not absolutely necessary like say the SOHC V6.

Hey, I'd never completely remove an interior to clean my truck either. I'm a lazy ****. :p:

Eric (techieman) showed me just how easy it was to pull the plugs without pulling your wheels just before I left Kansas.

Stand Joe & I next to Eric and you have the number 100
happy0194.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, for one I don't have jackstands or a decent jack. Not everyone does.

...padding removed...

Hey, I'd never completely remove an interior to clean my truck either. I'm a lazy ****. :p:

Who uses jackstands? I don't even turn off my truck to pull an airbag. :D

Ok, I do use Jackstands. :)

Maybe you're not lazy- maybe you're just already that clean... :D

Back