Spark plug wires?

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Ive got my mind set on Motorcraft SP432 plugs, theyre factory OEM, and a decent price.

I want to change my plugs and wires tomorrow, so im now debating on what wires to get. This stuff is like jibberish to me...are wires another thing that falls in the "you get what you pay for" category?

AutoZone only stocks Bosch and Duralast wires for the 5.0.
Bosch: 63$
Duralast: 50$

Both seem to have simaler features; the Bosch seems a bit better, but Joe Dirt put a damper on the Bosch name for me with his wonderful Bosch experience. (Those were spark plugs though).

I really dont want to have to wait for shipping for wires, tomorrows my last day off until late next week.

Any info/opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wires are so easy, it's 20 minutes even if you have to wait for them and do them another day. CarQuest brand is produced by Prestolite is the same set as the Motorcraft, as Prestolite was an OEM producer. If you can find a CarQuest branded wire from Prestolite (RockAuto used to carry them, some of the CarQuest stores may also have them) they will be fine. Many of the ones I saw even said Motorcraft on the boots.

RockAuto had a few sets on closeout (branded CarQuest) for like $20 or something.

Not seeing any of the Carquests on RA, I decided nay on ether set from AZ, since I dont care for Duralast and read some awful Bosch reviews. I went to Walmart (I'm here now literally standing in the aisle :)) looking for AutoLites but my wallyworld doesnt even carry wires.

I'm gonna get on Advance AP and Napa to see wha brands they carry.

Let me ask you this Joe, will it hurt in anyway to put the new plugs in tomorrow with the old wires until I get the new ones in the mail (If I go with RA)

Well I went ahead and bought the AutoLite wires, it was my only choice, and they seem to be a good choice from what ive read on EF.

Now that im back home, im almost glad I didnt go with MotorCraft; Someone I dont care for (Or really vice versa, because I was over the whole thing over a year ago) posted a pretty bad experience with MotorCraft, how the boot disintegrated.

He really made the Aurora's sound like great wires..and they're 112$ shipped; way better than Motorcrafts +140$ before shipping. At Advanced, Motorcrafts were 200$

So im kind of lost here.

Ive read that one of the sides is gonna be awfully close to the manifolds, my wires came with these heat sock looking things on 3 plugs, and then it came with a bag of 4 "heat shields" (Little metal tubes with springs in them)

What do the tubes go on? The wire boots?

2011-06-10090022.jpg

2011-06-10090032.jpg

They're supposed to be on the plug end of the boot. I've never seen them shipped separately that way, I guess that's just another production cost savings.

The different Motorcraft part numbers really relate to whether the boots are high temp resistant. If the correct wires are put on, I've never seen a boot disintegrate.

The Aurora's are very good wires, if it was me I would honestly order either the Aurora's, or the Motorcraft and wait a couple of days and get a good wire that you won't have to replace in under a year. Is a couple of days going to matter on wires that will take about 10 minutes to change on a V8? You can run the old wires with the new plugs until then, no problem.

You're spending weeks on the bumper and lights, spend a few days on getting the right parts so it will run good.

So far i am having no issues with the Motorcraft wires and my Torque Monster headers

spankyengine3.jpg

:dunno:

Back