• Register Today It's free!

Spark plugs

MANDY29

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer 4.0
I'm looking to order new spark plugs for my 96 Ford Explorer 4.0 (4 door). How many spark plugs does a 96 Ford Explorer 4.0 have? I've tried to look it up online to see how many I need to buy, but I can't find the information for it anywhere. Everything that I've clicked on just leads me to sites where I can buy them, but doesn't tell me how many I have. Can someone please help me figure this out? Please and Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's 6-cylinder engine, so six plugs. Not to condescend, but something tells me that if you don't know how many plugs your engine needs, the job may be a bit too big for you. Perhaps enlisting some help would be a good idea?

It's 6-cylinder engine, so six plugs. Not to condescend, but something tells me that if you don't know how many plugs your engine needs, the job may be a bit too big for you. Perhaps enlisting some help will be a good idea?
No it's ok I take no offense. My dad told me it was 6 but my husband told me he was wrong and it was 8. I just wanted to make sure before I bought them. You are definitely right though I will not be doing it myself. I will be have my dad's friend do it (he's a mechanic). He told me all I had to do was buy the parts and he'd put them in for me. I just didn't want to spend more money than I had to so I thought it was a good idea to ask.

It's 6-cylinder engine, so six plugs. Not to condescend, but something tells me that if you don't know how many plugs your engine needs, the job may be a bit too big for you. Perhaps enlisting some help would be a good idea?
Thank you though for answering my question.

You need motorcraft or autolite fine wire platinums. Don't use anything else.

For the 4.0L SOHC engine, the part number is
AGSF-22F-M

You can buy them from many places, for example RockAuto, or a Ford dealer. I like this dealer, their prices are very good:

Please double check wether you have the "OHV" or "SOHC" engine.
It's probably written on a big plastic piece in the middle of the engine.

The same plug can have different model numbers. For example, "Motorcraft SP500" is the same plug.

Please double check wether you have the "OHV" or "SOHC" engine.
It's probably written on a big plastic piece in the middle of the engine.

Doesn't matter really, the SOHC and the OHV use the same plugs.

Doesn't matter really, the SOHC and the OHV use the same plugs.

Great! Thanks for the clarification, it will make Mandy's job easier!

Is there a thread advising how to access the plugs? It seems quite cramped in there.

Biggest pains are the passenger side and the worst is cylinder 3 next to the air box. You can go in from top or bottom. Through the fender well is easier, just crank the wheel all the way to the left to get in there. Make sure you use antisieze on the plugs. Don't overtorque, I generally go 1/4-1/2 turn past finger tight.

Back