• Register Today It's free!

Speaker replacements

Private_Joker

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Speaker replacements - Recommendations????!!!?!?!?!

Please help my understand which speakers I can replace..

I have a 1st gen (93) sport with audiophile system.

The general reference thread states:
"Audiophile System speakers are usually 2 speakers (a 4.0" mid-range, and a 1.0" tweeter) in a sealed enclosure (in some model years, the enclosures
are used in all four locations, in others, they are used only in the front, with Premium Full-Range speakers in the rear)"

This is true for the front doors. I took one of these sealed enclosures out in an effort to isolate inference I'm getting.. but its still there...

a) If I were to replace these front door speakers - Do you purchase a 4" and a 1" tweeter and try to reuse this 'enclosure'? or buy some other enclosure?

b) - Also - please someone tell me where the wiring goes for the rear speakers (by the rear passenger seats) ie: through the floor, under the truck, etc -
I really want to avoid opening up half my truck only to realize I can't find the wires. - It seems that (on sports) that the entire sides are one big piece (meaning redic job to take out I think).

My ultimate goal is to stop the noise I'm getting (discussed in other threads too http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111368), so I'm trying to isolate the problem. It is all in the right side speakers only. I guess its either the ground, the wires, or the speakers... but I don't want to go to a shop and just say "fix it plea$e"....cuz they'll tell me its everything for sure...

Suggestions and morsels of the truth and opinions are appreciated.. :bounce:

Thanks,
PJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can only answer the wire question. The Door is only attached to the car at one location, the support between the front door and rear door. The speaker/door lock wires should run down that and under the running boards on the floor. So the answer would be under the running board. Pop that up and there should be another metal flap you have to pry open with a screw driver and thats where all the wires run.

Thank you for your help -- sry, but my meant the rear passenger speakers, not speakers in the rear doors (my typo)...(which I also now corrected in my original question.
Sorry about my f#$ up and thanks again :) :thumbsup:

gatorpatric0 said:
I can only answer the wire question. The Door is only attached to the car at one location, the support between the front door and rear door. The speaker/door lock wires should run down that and under the running boards on the floor. So the answer would be under the running board. Pop that up and there should be another metal flap you have to pry open with a screw driver and thats where all the wires run.

Private_Joker said:
Thank you for your help -- sry, but my meant the rear passenger speakers, not speakers in the rear doors (my typo)...(which I also now corrected in my original question.
Sorry about my f#$ up and thanks again :) :thumbsup:

Which speakers are you talking about? I thought there were only 4 door speakers, even in the audiophile systems. Where are the speakers you are talking about?

The speakers in-line with the the rear passenger seats. I'm referring to the Ex sport which is 2 door only. It looks like you have to remove the entire interior section from the door to the back hatch just to get at the speakers. Maybe this is an easy job, I just haven't done it before and don't wanna rip apart my Ex sport if not necessary! (and potentially damage panels etc)

gatorpatric0 said:
Which speakers are you talking about? I thought there were only 4 door speakers, even in the audiophile systems. Where are the speakers you are talking about?

OH!!! I forgot about the sports having different speaker configurations. Righty.

on my 99 sport the rear grills are easy to remove. you do not have to remove the panels only the grills. Take a flathead screwdriver and carefully insert it on the top section of the grill and gentley pry it off. I do not believe yours should be any different than mine. Good luck

Back