• Register Today It's free!

Speaker wiring harness

N3LRX

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4x4
In my 93 Ex someone cut the plugs off the grey cable that goes to all the speakers from the radio. I don't know if the stereo was stolen and the thief cut the cable or the previous owner did or what. It has a stereo in it now from a 98 Mustang, but there is no audio. My question is does this cable plug in somewhere in the main wiring harness so I can replace it or do I need to splice it with another cable? I could probably cut one out in a junk yard and splice it but if it's got a plug somewhere in the harness I'd rather just replace the whole cable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its one of a couple of things:

1. defective unit

2. Defective amp located in the rear cargo area of the passenger side behind the trim

3. it could be that they installed an after market unit and bypassed the amp output cable located i think at the bottom of the pillar on the passenger side with the grey cable your talking about so that audio goes straight to the speakers. the unit may be working but does it provide even faint audio?

i have a pdf i will try to host with a plug diagram maybe it will help. if that doesnt work it could be your wiring or maybe your speaker dont work

Dead Link Removed theres the direct link

Dead Link Removed <- thats the host hope that helps

The thick grey cable that plugs into the stereo has been cut and the plug is missing.. I need to know if that part is replaceable or do I have to splice it to another cable with plugs on it. The reason there is no sound is because the speakers are not connected to anything at the moment. I need to at least get that far before troubleshooting any further.

right so. when i installed the radio in my aunts lincoln (same grey plug thing btw) the new head unit i used came with its own wiring harness. so i cut the plug from the lincoln and spliced the wires together.

you said you had mustang 98 unit? does it have a wiring harness or just a plug?

i think your options are to either get a new plug/wire or get a head unit with a wiring harness you can splice with the ford.

should you get a new unit with built in amp bypass the stock amp with a crutchfield adapter to send audio straight to speakers

Back