• Register Today It's free!

speakers and amp opinion plz

maverick

Reaction score
City, State
canton, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'2000 XLT
i have a 2000 ford explorer xlt and am planning on getting an alpine 9813 and the pioneer ts-D680r 6x8's for the rear because appraently they wont' fit in the front. i'm curious what kind of opinions have for speakers in the front. i am toying with the ts-A680r's for the front, beacuse they were recommended to me by a guy at crutchfield...they are the same size, so how would they fit? any other good speaker recommendations are appreciated. i'm also thinking bout getting the Lightning Audio B400.4 to power the speakers. opinions?
thanks
-sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would get 6 1/2 component or coax for the front and bridge the rear amp channels to a 10" sub. Use the head unit to power the factory rears.

I'm saying don't even waste your cash on rear speakers. Use the money on a subwoofer instead. Power the factory Ford rear speakers with the rear output of the headunit. Use the front channels of the Lightning Bolt amp to power the new front speakers and the rear amp channels bridged to power the sub.
This gives the best sound/imaging/bang for the buck.

oh ok, what would u suggest for fronts? i really like the pioneers but apparently they wont fit..even though they are 6x8's
thanks

Originally posted by maverick
oh ok, what would u suggest for fronts? i really like the pioneers but apparently they wont fit..even though they are 6x8's
thanks

I'm not a fan of Pioneer, but many on here use them and like them.
I would go to a 6 1/2" speaker instead of the 6x8. If you got the cash, go for some 6.5" components.
Its very easy to make a trim ring that fits the factory hole, uses the factory bolts and fits a 6.5" speaker right in the middle. You pull the factory speaker out, lay it face down on a piece of 1/2" MDF and trace the outline of the factory speaker leaving about an 1" space around.
Mark all the factory screw holes. Set the 6.5" speaker's template (It usually comes w/the speaker, showing you what size hole to cut for the 6.5" speaker. Not the speaker's outer ring) in the middle of your trace and mark it.
Cut out all the holes w/ a drill and/or jig saw.
Put some Dynamat on the door, place the trim ring and mount it. Put Dynamat layered over that and mount the speaker.

The pioneer speakers should fit fine. I am not a big fan of their speakers either altho I have a pair in my rear powered by my radio. With an suv you will need some sort of rear fill so dont toss the rear speakers. What is ur budget for front speakers? You can fit 5.25's in easier then 6.5's and crutchfield will supply the bracket. they are not my choice of internet companys but they do have outstanding customer service.

Whats your budget for the amp also?

budget depends on if i'm just upgrading like rear's or fronts. i saw i could get the 6x8 pioneers for $100 at zeb.com but if i'm just gonna get a pair...i'll go to $150. amp would be like prob around $150 cuz i saw i culd a get a lightning audio from zeb...but i also know mtx is good, so maybe a lil more than $150 but no more than $200.
thanks for the help
-sean

Those infinitys are nice. They are comps but have the tweeter in the middle for an easier install. Comps are easy to install but finding a spot for the crossover can be a pain sometimes.

Bridged 250 x 2 means it's a 4ch amp and probly 100-125 watts per ch. You should see more then just a bridged mode amount of power if not the amp may be garbage and it's listing max power which doesn't mean anything. Look for an amp the states rms ratings of at least 75wrms per ch for comps. 100 - 125wrms would be better cause you can keep the gains lower and get a cleaner signal. Now don't think a 75wrms amp can't give a clean signal, it's just most try to push smaller amps to the limit and often set the gains a little too high.

ok here's my plan: wanting to get an Audiobahn A6004T

some AS68Q speakers for the front.

I also want to get a sub but im not sure which ones the amplifer can power. It has 75 x 4 and then 300 x 2 bridged. is that 300 watts to each sub or how does it work? Any sub, preferabbly audiobahn since i'm getting amp, recommendation would greatly help. thanks
-sean

If you run two speakers (front L & R channels of amp)and a sub (rear L & R channels of amp, bridged), you
will have 75 watts to each front speaker and 300 to one single voice coil, 4 ohm sub.
It will sound pretty darn good imho.:D
BTW - I am running 150x2 to the front and 300 to the sub. I've got WAY more power up front then needed.

know of a good audiobahn sub? the one's im looking at are like 400-500 rms...will 300 satisfy them?

know of a good audiobahn sub? the one's im looking at are like 400-500 rms...will 300 satisfy them?

I'm not familiar w/ their subs, but 300 watts will work just fine for 400 to 500 rms sub.

does each sub count as a "channel" as in bridged mode mono is 300 x 2? i'm wondering like after i use the 75 x 4 (just using 2 channels for the front) if its 300 or 600 left for the subs. i think 300 but just checking, it is a 600 amp

does each sub count as a "channel" as in bridged mode mono is 300 x 2? i'm wondering like after i use the 75 x 4 (just using 2 channels for the front) if its 300 or 600 left for the subs. i think 300 but just checking, it is a 600 amp

You only have 4 channels to work with. You send a total of 150 watts to the front channels, running 75 to the left and 75 to the right. The rear channels are bridged together (combined). When bridged together, making a mono signal (+) from left, (-) from right, the amp will double its output sending 300 watts to the single 4 ohm driver. Its the same if you ran two 2 ohm subs in the rear, you would get 150 watts per sub.

i did more research on audiobahn and apparently they are not very good for the money and they are more hype and flash the sound. I'm going to research MTX, which i have heard some before and know they are good. Anyone know anything good or bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think a 10" MTX 6000 is a great sub for the $$$.

Back