speed sensors and 4wd flashing lights for 96 EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

speed sensors and 4wd flashing lights for 96 EB

raulrdz3

Reaction score
City, State
Menlo Park, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
Hi everyone!

My 4wd does not work when the car is moving, and only snow chains made it not do the 6 flashes. When I have the car parked or very slow speeds, I have no problems. After days of reading in the forums, I'm pretty sure that my problem are the HALL speed sensors. The only thing is that with my 96 Eddie Bauer, there's 3 types of speed sensors: 1) a regular speed sensor (autozone part SU1019), 2) an abs sensor which I think is in the rear axle (Autozone SU2175), and 3) a transmission speed sensor (autozone part SU2320).

which of those 3 are the HALL sensors in this model? I think it's 1 and 2 but if someone can confirm that would be great

Hey raulrdz3,
Your 96 doesn't have a speed sensor in the rear axle. Ford didn't move it from the output of the transfer case until 99. What type of t-case do you have? If it is the control trac 4405 the 4wd selector switch will say " 4wd auto-4wd hi-4wd lo". If that is the case there are 2 hall effect sensors , 1 in the front output and 1 in the rear output of the t-case. Unfortunately if these are bad the t-case is coming out and getting opened up. They are internally located in the t-case. The other sensor is mounted on the output of the t-case and is for the speedo.

the switch just says 2wd-4wd auto-4wd high

i do see a speed sensor right next to the shift motor, but i now understand that is different than the hall effect sensors. then there's 2 hall effect sensors i should be focusing on fixing?

and thanks for your help!

Back