• Register Today It's free!

Speedo Cable?? Or not??

Explorer Junky

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4 dr 5.0
I have a 1997 Ex XLT with 5.0 and AWD, I recently replaced the VSS on the rear axle. I was told there was a speedo cable on the transfer case to the dash but have yet to find it. I did find another VSS on the transfer case. At least I think it is. Any thoughts on this?? Speedo will work for a while then zero out and stay that way til I restart engine. I have seen conflicting reports on the speedo cable, that some say it has it, and others say its sensor driven. Which is it??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WEEEELLLLL!! don't all answer at once! Update.. replaced VSS sensor at Transfer case. Speedo still drops out after being driven for a few miles. Let it sit for a little bit, then it comes back on after re start, then goes back out. Is it gauge in dash??? Any help please!

Lacky thanks for reply, But, how can ABS sensor cause speedo to go out? It has one on rear axle and one on Transfer case output shaft. VSS that is.

I certainly don't know. Maybe he replaced a VSS sensor??

All I know is my '98 does not have a cable driven speedo. I just purchased a transfer case from a 94 that does have the gear for the speedo cable. I think the question you'll need to answer in order to diagnose the problem is: How exactly does the vehicle sense speed?

It's been a while, but I heard of that problem before and it was in the gauge area. Junky you are correct the 97 uses a VSS in the transfer case, and the one on the differential is for the ABS. Later years eliminated the VSS in the case, and used the ABS sensor as a VSS.

drdoom thanks. I looked up Ford original parts... $336!!!! WOW! Scrap yard here I come!!

Back