Speedometer not working after 1354 manual swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speedometer not working after 1354 manual swap

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
I just got my 99 back on the road after swapping to a Dana 44 TTB and 1354 manual transfer case. The ABS light is on as I assumed it would be since there are no sensors on the front wheels I am fine with ABS not working for now. The manual transfer case swap left was also completed. Is the speedo issue related to the ABS or T case or both? I was under the impression that the speedo worked off of the rear ABS sensor which is still intact. BTW the transmission shifts fine so it is receiving a speed sensor input.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The speedometer and PCM read an input from the ABS module. If your front sensors are gone, the only option it has for a signal is the rear sensor. The rear sensor is common to fail. You can check to see if it is failed by measuring the resistance of the sensor. The values are somewhere on the site. They typically fail either open or closed, I can't remember. Search around the site.

When the rear sensor failed in my dads 99 mounty, the ABS light was on and the speedo still worked. I can only assume the ABS was sending out the reading from the front sensors. We replaced the sensor and the light went off.

The speedometer and PCM read an input from the ABS module. If your front sensors are gone, the only option it has for a signal is the rear sensor. The rear sensor is common to fail. You can check to see if it is failed by measuring the resistance of the sensor. The values are somewhere on the site. They typically fail either open or closed, I can't remember. Search around the site.

When the rear sensor failed in my dads 99 mounty, the ABS light was on and the speedo still worked. I can only assume the ABS was sending out the reading from the front sensors. We replaced the sensor and the light went off.

That is good info thanks. The ABS light was on before the accident also so that could have been the issue all along. Why does the tranny still shift properly though, I thought it was all tied together?

Anyone use a VSS from the speedo output of the Tcase on a newer truck like this one. I have a sensor mounted in the t case to plug the hole, maybe I could use that as the input instead of the rear sensor. Then I could swap in a 9 inch with no problems.

Also the truck dies sometimes when coasting to a stop, I am assuming this is related to the speed sensor issue. Just pulled the code and it is P0500 VSS malfunction. Are there any other sensors that were in the factory tcase?

I dont know much about how the system works, but I have a tid bit of info that might help you. Once when my ABS light was on, I pulled the fuse for it thinking the dash light would go off, and I dont care for ABS anyways. Well, the dashlight stayed on, but my speedo didnt work. Would be great for falsifying the odometer though...

I had a 96 F150 that would do the same thing when a certain fuse was pulled. I just am trying to figure out if there was another sensor in the tcase that I didn't know about.

Installed another rear ABS sensor I had laying around and now speedo works fine. Thanks for the help.

Anyone know how to make the 4wd lights stop flashing (I know I can take the bulbs out)?

I would install a 4x2 GEM module. The AWD V8 and 2WD V8 or V6 had them. It is located behind the radio bezel on the drivers side. When I swapped my V8 in on the sport I changed from a 4x4 to 4x2 (2WD, AWD) GEM.

Thanks, looks like I need a trip to the junkyard

Back