Spin em???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spin em????

What should jman_07 spend his $$ on?

• Performance mods to "chirp" the tires

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Take his parents out to a movie and/or dinner

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • "Acquire" a girlfriend (according to storlied; as if girlfriends can be "acquired" from a grocery st

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jman_07

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
I was reading a post here in these forums with a poll asking can u spin your tires??? Here is my setup i have a 2001 XLT 4.0SOHC with stock rims and wranger something tires. On dry pavement i cant even get a damn chirp out of these tires I have the D4 axle 3.73 gearing Limited slip i believe. Here is the question i notice as well i thing the truck doesnt have as much get up and go as i would like I was wondering what i could change the gearing to so i could at least spin the tires 3 to 4 seconds from a standstill on dry pavement and would new gearing Help the truck get up and go faster from a dead stop???

Thanx..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spinning tires? IMO, its not worth it :D. You can do the "brown wire mod" (BWM) but there's a risk of destroying the transfer case -- which a few users have done. So is a few hundred dollars worth spinning tires? That's up to you.

As for the improved acceleration, try a tune-up :D

ive already done this mod but i cant break the tires loose from a standstill so im wondering if there is any gearing besides the 3.73 that i have that can break em loose does tires make a big difference as well if i had some ****ty traction tires gearing mainly is what iwant to know about??? Yes im sure the mod is done right and it is in 2wd ive tested it on gravel snow etc..

Your V6 might not be powerful enough? I'm most likely wrong, but IMO.. wearing your tires down like that isn't worth it.

What's the big deal about this anyways?

Its your ride, but my feeling are- it's an Explorer, not a Mustang. Why do the tires have to chirp?

Well the other part is are you doing it right? Are you holding down the brake to a specific point and slowly adding gas until it overcomes the brakes? This is brutal to the drivetrain btw :D

throw on a power adder and youll surely cut the tires loose.

Or just take that money you were going to spend on the Explorer (to get it to "chirp" or break loose), and take your parents out to dinner or a movie or something :D -- money spent well!

power adder suggestions?

Chip or tuner. Could get NOS...lmao.. Or a supercharger.
TorqueMonster Headers (After the V8 swap of course)

Few grand later, you can then say you can chirp your tires.

power adder suggestions?

That all depends on your budget. If your looking for some basic stuff the best place to start is with a better intake, a catback exhaust, getting the truck tuned, and a lot of people like underdrive pulleys.

If you've got a few grand lining you pockets you could go with a turbo setup or a supercharger, but with any kind of boost setup you would need a bigger MAF, bigger injectors, etc. All depends on what kind of cash you've got lying around and what kind of numbers you want.

EDIT: Beat me to it...

lol.

Honestly, all of this to chirp tires doesn't seem very practical at all... I mean.. why is this so important to you?
I'm just curious. It is Your vehicle.

Ha i get that question alot its all for show i love my explorer no doubt i just want to beable to spin em every once in awhile i just thought gearing had alot to do with it i figured if i changed gearing it could do it..

ive already done this mod but i cant break the tires loose from a standstill so im wondering if there is any gearing besides the 3.73 that i have that can break em loose

If you have 3.73 gears, then you don't have any other gears. It's just the one set.

does tires make a big difference as well if i had some ****ty traction tires

Are you saying you'd rather have tires that don't give you traction, just so you can break them loose??

I really think you can find a better way to blow your money if that is your only goal.

I really think you can find a better way to blow your money if that is your only goal.
x2 -- im telling you, take your parents out to a movie and a dinner.

I agree.

Okay so I'm going to add a poll to this thread :D

Or give your girlfriend a present. If that's not an option...

Get a girlfriend, and then buy her a present.
(NOTE: After aquiring girlfriend, you may not have any money for a present, or mods for the truck.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okkay poll is up. Go vote, poll closes in 2 days.

Back