• Register Today It's free!

SPLITFIRE IN TROUBLE! read on...

felsmann

Reaction score
City, State
HB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Juan,
If you will notice, that article is 3 years old now. I have tried their plugs and was hesitant about believing their claims. A split electrode just gives you twice the chance for a spark along with twice the chance of fouling out. All you have to do is foul out one side of the electrode and the other will not make any difference. Voltage follows the path of least resistance...fouled to ground is easier than jumping a gap. My own experience with their plugs were in marine engines. Thank goodness for their money back guarantee. I took them back because I couldn't see any difference in performance...just emptier pockets. BTW, at this time they were about $7 each and now they are less than $5. This must also tell you something.

Have not tried their plug wires but am about to. Anything is an improvement over the stock ones.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4
What do Playboy and National Geographic have in common? Just a couple of the places I will never get to visit :(

I have the Splitfire plugs in my 25 HP Mercury outboard engine. They seemed to help a lot with power and a much smoother idle.

Just my .02

If anyone has advice good or bad I would appreciate it. As I was thinking about putting the triple plat splitfire plugs w/ the dual core wires in my truck soon.
Thanks

I am skeptical of the split fire plugs as well. I have not tried them however. But I really can't see there being two sparks. One side is typically going to fire.

Many people might notice an improvement when they change plugs simply because the old ones were not performing to their optimum level anymore, hence the need for replacement.

This makes me wonder about the Bosch platinum +4s that everybody is going crazy about. There are 4 ground electrodes, right? Betcha there is still only one spark. If anyone knows the engineering reasons for the 4 grounds, please enlighten me. Thanks

------------------
JGB
Ontario Canada(!)

I'm a hold out on the splitfires as well. On the +4's a lot of people on LS1.com are mentioning that they shouldn't be used. They foul to easy in the T/A's, Camaro's and Vettes. Good Luck.

Ira, you are right, I didn't notice the date, but it is still a good warning.

I also have the Platinum Bosch 4+ and very happy with them. I'll be ordering the Splitfire wires soon.

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
http://www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

Gofast-The Bosch plugs resist fouling and I experienced it first hand. I posted this before that when my fuel pressure regulator went, The Ford tech was very sure that I needed to replace my plugs because he said extremely rich fuel mixture would foull any plug. This is without even pulling them out to check. I think he assumed that I was going to have them do the work. Well, I took the car home to replace the FPR and changed the oil and filter since I had fuel in it. I pulled the Bosch to check their condition. The were a little black so I cleaned them off a little and stuck them back in. I checked them again about six hundred miles later. They all looked in great shape. That was enough to prove to me that they were worth the money. Hope this info helps.

Question; wouldn't the four electrodes on the platinum-4's shroud the spark from the incomming fuel four-times more than a normal plug?

S.MAT; thanks for the reply.

Rocky-the Bosch is set up so the four ground electrodes come in from the outer edge of the plug with the central core electrode completely exposed to the chamber. The grounds don't cover the center core electrode at all. This should give a more exposed spark then a standard plug thus more complete combustion. Hope this helps.

The Bosch plugs have the same 4 pattern as the NGK's my 85 RX-7 used and sililar to the plugs in my 1947 Aeronca 11-BC Chief (85Hp Continental). Apparently that "pattern" in plugs has been around a long time.
I plan to try them in my 93. Definatley great feedback from a lot of you.

Back