splodo got sassy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

splodo got sassy

splodo got sassy!!!,Updated with pics

Well i finally started my swap. And to tell you its been simple yet a little confusing.So far i have the coil buckets mounted the coils attached and the axle under minus the radius arms mounted. Specs so far.
79 dana 44. with 55k on it.
Wild horses coils.
Stock Bronco buckets. moved exactly 2 inches forward. And tilted the top slight back.
early bronco radius arms extended with bent and twisted extension.
gonna try to use stock trac bar.
New calipers with jrgaylors brake line mod
and i need new steering.
gonna space out the rear with 2 inch adapters. Yeah im keeping the 8.8.
Now realize im just gettin the axle under the truck right now cuz i am moving in a month and going to japan for 6 months after that so all the welding will be done after i get back so all the bolting is just to get that axle set and towed home.(I might weld if i get time too) Got questions feel free to ask. Got comments feel free to post but i dont care if your gonna say "you should also weld" Cuz you should allready know.

Attachments

• snorkeldone 007.jpg
    snorkeldone 007.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,925
  • solid axle swap 006.jpg
    solid axle swap 006.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,923
  • solid axle swap 005.jpg
    solid axle swap 005.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,905

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more

pics

Attachments

• solid axle swap 007.jpg
    solid axle swap 007.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,916
  • solid axle swap 009.jpg
    solid axle swap 009.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,897
  • solid axle swap 010.jpg
    solid axle swap 010.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,868

and more

pics

Attachments

• solid axle swap 003.jpg
    solid axle swap 003.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,869
  • solid axle swap 001.jpg
    solid axle swap 001.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,859
  • solid axle swap 004.jpg
    solid axle swap 004.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,891

Your truck is coming along nicely :thumbsup:

Thanks im gonna try to get the arms mounted today and the front tires on the rims. so i can get it rolled out of the garage.(wife is so pissed at me for doing this) Supercharger i wish. Its the throttle body.

Ahhh, it looks like is says BBK SuperCharged on the sticker, but you can't really make it out from that pic.

You really should weld the coil buckets to the frame. :p It's coming along nicely. What gears and what size tires will you be running? Also, how much did those r/a extensions cost you?

EDIT: Nevermind on that last question. I just found em: http://www.bentandtwisted.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=881
I think I'll stick with extending them with DOM so that I can add heims instead of having threaded ends.

HaHa bmx i figured youd be the first. I plan on running 4.88s when i get back home but for now its front 3.50s or 3.55s and rear 3.73s. So the drive shaft is gonna stay disconned. My tires are 35s. I couldnt go any bigger than 36s for sure so anyone doing a swap i mounted my buckets more than jrgaylor and less than sanvde and it looks like this is my running tire. Today i mounted the calipers and did jrgaylors mod. (thanks) and mounted the radius arms and the tires. The rear is still un spaced but i think the front looks great. I also tack welded the stinger to the front bumper :confused: . It actually turned out ok. I might start on the new tube front bumper tommorrow. But i also need to spend a day with the fam. Ive been in the garage for 2 days drinking and fabbing. O yeah i seriously think that the stock track bar is a no go for me it is like 3 inches past the frame and i just dont see it happening. Also i still need to do steering. I was quoted around 200 for a setup and i still gotta fab it to work with my pitman arm . O yeah looks like my pitman arm is too low and might need to find a stock one to work with the lift. For you allready sas pros your comments will help as iam a sas pro in training. :D Thanks.

Attachments

• solid axle swap 012.jpg
    solid axle swap 012.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,812
  • solid axle swap 013.jpg
    solid axle swap 013.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,837
  • solid axle swap 014.jpg
    solid axle swap 014.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,808

A few more

Attachments

• solid axle swap 015.jpg
    solid axle swap 015.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,823
  • solid axle swap 016.jpg
    solid axle swap 016.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,806
  • solid axle swap 019.jpg
    solid axle swap 019.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,836

And some more

Attachments

• solid axle swap 020.jpg
    solid axle swap 020.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,775
  • solid axle swap 018.jpg
    solid axle swap 018.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,795
  • solid axle swap 017.jpg
    solid axle swap 017.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,790

Heres a few day shots. Im not gonna start the tube bumper today. I measured the front from rim to rim its 81"s wide. Also i centered the truck under the axle and it looks like i need to shorten the stock track bar 1-2 inches. And i need a stock piman arm. Cuz its really close to hitting the trac bar.

Attachments

• solid axle swap 022.jpg
    solid axle swap 022.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,769
  • solid axle swap 024.jpg
    solid axle swap 024.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,780
  • solid axle swap 025.jpg
    solid axle swap 025.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,765

Well i fabbed up the trac bar mount. Its not welded on yet cause im gonna wait till i get all the steering setup then weld just to make sure i have no problems. Also im gonna put on a stock piman arm to make clearance better at full turn and flex.I am also gonna run a piece of flat stock from the back side of the bracket over to the engine cross member.

Attachments

• solid axle swap 030.jpg
    solid axle swap 030.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,741
  • solid axle swap 031.jpg
    solid axle swap 031.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,767
  • solid axle swap 032.jpg
    solid axle swap 032.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,714

Shes done!!!!!!!

Well i finished the front besides shocks but its driveable. These springs are really soft!!! I was checking the steering and the trac bar mount was just bolted up (wanted to make sure everything worked before i started welding)and i watched the whole body move and not the tires.. I was like f#$k all that work gone so i shut the truck down and took a look,and the bracket that bolted the mount to the frame was bent and so was the bolt so after this i decided to do a few more beads too make the mount more secure. :D

Attachments

• sascomplete 004.jpg
    sascomplete 004.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,691
  • sascomplete 003.jpg
    sascomplete 003.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,682
  • sascomplete 001.jpg
    sascomplete 001.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,658

Update With flex shots.

Well heres some flex shots. Its only in 2 wheel drive but it gave me a good location and travel on the shocks.These coils compress really well. Tell me what yall think.

Attachments

• sas flex 003.jpg
    sas flex 003.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,655
  • sas flex 004.jpg
    sas flex 004.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,646
  • sas flex 006.jpg
    sas flex 006.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,657

A Few More

Flex

Attachments

• sas flex 005.jpg
    sas flex 005.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,628
  • sas flex 008.jpg
    sas flex 008.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,647
  • sas flex 009.jpg
    sas flex 009.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,643

Before and after

Heres a before and after I think looks so good with the wider axle. :D

Attachments

• title 002.jpg
    title 002.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,629
  • sascomplete 001.jpg
    sascomplete 001.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,608

splodo49 said:
Tell me what yall think.
:drool: :D

After an entire day of looking for a Dana 44, I still haven't gotten one. People SAY it's complete, and then I get there and it's missing everything but gears. :rolleyes: I have finally found one though and am picking it up tomorrow at about noon. So anyways, hopefully it won't be much longer til I have a cool poser shot like that. :p

Looks good, nice flex. How does it handle with the wider track, like in turns? Do you plan on any fender flares and would it be street legal without them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really havent noticed any turning diff. My truck is so not street legal. I was gonna do fiberglass fenders but now that its not my daily driver i changed my mind. I almost got pulled over just driving a couple of blocks to the r.t.i. ramp.

Back