• Register Today It's free!

Spongey Brakes on '93 sport!

smashdn

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I have a problem with losing feel in the brake pedal under heavy braking or sometimes just moderate braking when i hit a bump rock or pothole. The pedal then goes to the floor and i hear a sound like a moan and a whine mixed. I never lose any braking ability i just can't brake any harder after that because the pedal is on the floor. I have new pads and rotors, what is going on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you need to bleed the brakes some more. When did you have the pads replaced and were the brakes bled at that time?

I have the same problem and I just redid my entire front brake system, and bled/flushed the whole system. I also made sure my master cylinder never got empty but I still have spongy brakes and the same problem you're describing. I think there's air in the ABS system from one of the previous brake jobs that I've had done at shops. I'm going to take it in to a different shop soon that I have a lot of confidence in and ask them to bleed the whole ABS system and regular brake system, hopefully that fixes it.

Ah yes another one of us brake problem guys. ;) I was fighting my brake system for like a month. I originally thought it was the master cylinder.....replaced that with a new one. Then thought it was the power booster. Replaced that with a new one......still nothing. I put probably atleast a gallon of fluid through my entire system hopeing it was just air. Well it was sort of........See on your frame rail on the driver side there this little box.....Chiltons calls it a RABS Valve. This thing has a plunger type thing in it. It moves back and forth when you press on the brake. Fords are known for this little plug getting stuck to one side. The thing I did was take out the spring loaded bolt at the top side of it and with the motor running, I pumped the brakes.(Not hard....just paced even pumps.) Noticed alittle fluid coming out of it and I put the bolt back in. Started it back up and Boom!!! It worked!! I've talked to alot of mechanics and they all said they see it all the time. They also said its also the best place to get air stuck in the brake lines too. Just a little FYI for ya.

Would this be the same on a full 4 wheel ABS system?? Is there an air bleeder on the abs unit?

Back