Sport Trac bed trailer project

N2FORD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kingston,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4wd
I have been working on a winter project. Back story is I ended up with a complete ST bed a few years ago. Almost sold part of it to Koda a few years back for his ST. I had several different ideas for it but finally decided to build a trailer. I found a old trailer on CL, friend gave me a tool box, traded for an axle and bought some new items. I had some ST wheels and got 3 Good Year 265/75/16's off CL. Don't have much in it as I am sure it is not worth much, but it has been a fun project. Not fully done yet but getting close. Still want to paint it, add a spare tire underneath and a few other things. The first picture is before assembly with the little axle and tires. Second picture is with bigger axle and tires. Third is after I flipped the axle to get more clearance for the tires. Then behind the ST, with my smaller street tires. I will update as changes happen, now that the grass is growing it will get less time.

0112201412a.jpg
0227201921.jpg
0301200739.jpg
0301201340.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very very cool!!!
Well executed

I have been working on a winter project. Back story is I ended up with a complete ST bed a few years ago. Almost sold part of it to Koda a few years back for his ST. I had several different ideas for it but finally decided to build a trailer. I found a old trailer on CL, friend gave me a tool box, traded for an axle and bought some new items. I had some ST wheels and got 3 Good Year 265/75/16's off CL. Don't have much in it as I am sure it is not worth much, but it has been a fun project. Not fully done yet but getting close. Still want to paint it, add a spare tire underneath and a few other things. The first picture is before assembly with the little axle and tires. Second picture is with bigger axle and tires. Third is after I flipped the axle to get more clearance for the tires. Then behind the ST, with my smaller street tires. I will update as changes happen, now that the grass is growing it will get less time.

View attachment 179550View attachment 179551View attachment 179552View attachment 179553

Yes, this is very innovative and it looks great.

Hmm, I have a complete spare bed, an old trailer frame, a tool box, and a couple of hard covers. My trailer frame probably close to the right width, but it makes a 4x8 trailer so I'd have to shorten it. I don't think I'll do it, but it's something to think about. I'll be watching!

Sorry for the long delay, I finally got around to painting the bed. I used truck bed spray coating and the ACE semi gloss paint over it. Got the spare tire mounted, lights working, a little rear bumper and a few other things. I have actually pulled it down the road and it does well except it's a little bouncy because it's empty. Any ideas anyone has for more features please share them.
IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

"I have actually pulled it down the road and it does well except it's a little bouncy because it's empty. "

Have you considered installing some shock absorbers? I don't see any in the pics from the rear.

I have not but that might help. I will see how it does with some weight in it.

You'll probably need to put considerable weight in the toolbox or some other counterweight in the front for the best ride. The ST bed dictates most of the weight will be over or behind the axle. I didn't pick up on that when you posted the 1st pics.

I decided not to put my spare ST bed on my trailer frame, in large part because there would be a couple feet of trailer frame behind the ST bed unless I cut it off and I don't want to do that. I've had a couple different bed configurations on this frame, and it pulls great as is, empty or loaded. Still, it would be fun to have an ST trailer.

You'll probably need to put considerable weight in the toolbox or some other counterweight in the front for the best ride. The ST bed dictates most of the weight will be over or behind the axle. I didn't pick up on that when you posted the 1st pics.

I decided not to put my spare ST bed on my trailer frame, in large part because there would be a couple feet of trailer frame behind the ST bed unless I cut it off and I don't want to do that. I've had a couple different bed configurations on this frame, and it pulls great as is, empty or loaded. Still, it would be fun to have an ST trailer.

Maybe find a longer bed to put on your trailer if you like that project. I saw a Blackwood bed for sale on eBay a couple of years ago, $1500 I think it was. Someone evideently took it off to use a regular F150 bed on their Blackwood to preserve the nice original one. I always loved the look of that truck, but it wasn't practical as a truck.

My interest in this project is only based on having 2 Sport Tracs, an extra ST bed, and a spare trailer frame.

My trailer frame isn't wide enough or heavy duty enough for a full sized truck bed. It's a homemade frame I bought at an auction down the street 20 years ago. I paid $10 for it and 2 other trailer frames as a package. The other 2 frames weren't of use to me. One was a high frame with big truck wheels and a pintle hitch, possibly for military, DOT, or railroad use. The other was useless, but had a steel box that I mounted on this frame. The frame is built of galvanized I beam about 3x3" and a solid front axle from an old Ford truck. Pulls nice, loaded or empty. The beauty of this setup is, when the springs almost flatten, the frame rests on the flat part of the axle. Downside is, the drop in the axle limits the width of the bed to 48" outside unless I use spacers to raise the bed, which I did on the rebuild last summer. Even that didn't increase the width much. After the steel box finished rusting out, I used a sheet of plywood for the floor, which also supported the sides. When that needed replaced 7 or 8 years ago at the same time it needed tires, I found a nice 5x8 Carry-On trailer on Craigslist for $275. Seller's dad had used it to haul his wheelchair. When dad died, son kept the trailer until he realized it was just taking up space. I put bigger tires on it and added sides. With the 5x8 and a 6x12 enclosed trailer, I don't need this smaller trailer, but might use it around the yard. I can't justify spending $$ on it, but plan to buy adapters to use 5x4.5 wheels instead of the 5x5.5 pickup wheels it requires now. The pickup wheels were great when I had the F100, not so much now.

I went with this project because I already had the ST bed from a friend that put a nicer one on his. I had another friend give me the axle when he changed his out. I bought the trailer for $200 and sold the wheels, tires and drop axle it came with for $150. The tool box was free and the ST wheels and tires are from the truck my son totaled. So I don't have much in it, been fun playing with it so far and I think it will turn some heads when we take it out. I will do some tweaks and add more features as time and money permit. Thanks for the replies!

So I don't have much in it, been fun playing with it so far and I think it will turn some heads when we take it out.

Those are the exact reasons I even considered doing it with what I have.

Back