Sport Trac Muffler question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac Muffler question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone going this route?

38420760005_large.jpg

38420760012_large.jpg

Not my truck, found by Google - but it doesn't look half bad IMO... Just not really my style! :)

I love it, if I had a darker trac I'd probably do it.

Luke, it does have black diamond plate cover to hide the pre stacks. Look at the second picture closer.

Had it installed today for $40

Not QUITE as aggressive as I'd like to sound, but I think I'll have to do the V8 swap to REALLY get what I want on that..

Better than stock, but still V6'y. I'm sure you all could have told me that, though ;)

Not QUITE as aggressive as I'd like to sound, but I think I'll have to do the V8 swap to REALLY get what I want on that..
Better than stock, but still V6'y. I'm sure you all could have told me that, though ;)

The Dynomax SuperTurbo is close to stock sound for a performance muffler.
Removing the resonator made a HUGE difference in loudness, tone, and note.
Also, give it time to "break in" and burn off some of the fiberglass insulation.
IMO, deepest sounding I've heard for the 4.0 SOHC V6. (Without resonator)

It will NEVER sound remotely close to a V8, regardless of displacement. :mad:

The Dynomax SuperTurbo is close to stock sound for a performance muffler.
Removing the resonator made a HUGE difference in loudness, tone, and note.
Also, give it time to "break in" and burn off some of the fiberglass insulation.
IMO, deepest sounding I've heard for the 4.0 SOHC V6. (Without resonator)

It will NEVER sound remotely close to a V8, regardless of displacement. :mad:

Hmm... So basically what I heard was- "Remove the resonator, and let it break itself in to get it to sound closer to what you want."

I saw another thread on here about resonator removal after a quick search - is it just another part, like the muffler, inline with the exhaust? why have I not heard of this lol..

Looks like a small round muffler with internal bafflling.
Function is to subdue unwanted rasp and droning.
Remove and replace with straight pipe. Close to tail pipe.

Resonator.jpg
ResonatorInternal.jpg

I'll just put my question in here so I don't start another muffler thread. I will be getting the dynomax super turbo over the summer, and Offtrac I've seen your sound clips of it before removing the resonator, and I know that you and swshawaii have the resonator removed now. Do either of you or anyone else have a clip with it removed? I'm fine with how it sounds with the resonator on, just curious how much of a difference it actually is.

Back