Sport Trac Muffler question

soon2bsick

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
Okay so I know you guys get a million of these so bare with me,

I did do some searching and answered a few of my questions but I have a couple more

from what I can tell the dynomax superturbo seems to be the favorite muffler for this truck, With the flowmaster 40 being not so much liked (it was my first choice so glad I read up)

I want to do a single in/single out and not deal with all the trying to run the drivers side pipe

I realize I will probably never get the 5.0 sound out of my 4.0 but I want to get as close as possible

I've never removed cats/resonators or anything of that sort so could someone give me a run down on what I can do and what muffler would best suit my application to get a good sound. I'm looking for a sound similar to what the 40's series makes on a 5.4 f150 (which sounds amazing to me, opinions will differ)

Back when I rolled with the f150 crew everyone used dynomax bullets, They sounded mean and aggressive but not annoying. Anyone used these on the 4.0?

I need a 2.25 inlet/outlet is this correct?

Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll just answer one question and leave the rest to more seasoned exhaust folks. Removing the cats will not make much difference in the sound from what I've heard and read. Removing the resonator will help, though.

I honestly haven't heard a 4.0 that I truly liked the sound of. I haven't been rude and said what I think about most sound clips/videos of 4.0 exhaust mods, but since this isn't directly attached to anyone's yet: they sound rice. Except for the following examples, of course.:D

Still a fan of the Super Turbo. Thinking about removing the resonator but I'm not sure about that.

What you won't get with the Super Turbo is a raspy or an obnoxious sound, very subtle.
It had the deepest tone and note I've heard with the 4.0 SOHC, at various RPM's.
Slightly louder than stock with the resonator, substantially louder without. (2.25" or 2.5")
I've NEVER heard a V-6 that sounded remotely close to a V-8, regardless of displacement.

anyone have the muffler number for the dynomax superturbo for this application?

Good luck finding a place that would chop your cats out anyway... asking to get your cats removed (here at least) is like a dirty word... shops can get shut down for that. Ive also read it will mess up your sensors and the lil 4.0 won't run as well... Im redoing my exhaust this summer :) Dgonz has a sick sounding trac and I have the muffler he has now! Just need to get into a shop and fork out the cash

I took my muffler off and just ran a piece of pipe instead and i like it its not to loud but u can hear it

01Strac said:
I took my muffler off and just ran a piece of pipe instead and i like it its not to loud but u can hear it

So you ain't mufflin'?!

That's. Cray.

lol its just a temporary thing till i can get a muffler my friend owns a muffler shop here so it was free lol

I hate calling shops to get a price estimate, They always tell me I'll have to bring it in. I would be happy if they said like $100 to $300 just SOMETHING. I can't run around to every single shop to tell them "okay...I need this muffler put on..and then run the pipe out the back"

My step dad is a really good welder but he has never done exhaust or anything (he builds custom smokers/grills)

so I don't know if I should see if he could do it or what

I had a Flowmaster on mine 3" in dual 2.5" out with dual pipes, it sounded ok but the muffler was completely rusted thru within two years. I had that with the stock y-pipe and main cats then I added a random Technology Stainless Steel Pre-Cat delete y-pipe and High Flow Stainless Steel main cat. Sounded alot better but then I redid the tailpipes and swapped the Flowmaster for a Stainless Steel MagnaFlow 2.5" in dual 2.5" out and it sounds awesome now.

I get asked all the time what size V8 swap I did and can't believe it whenI open the hood. I have to figure out a way to get a video or sound clip to put on here. I tried my iphone out the sound cuts out when I open up the throttle while driving and when I rev it.

Anyone going this route?

38420760005_large.jpg

38420760012_large.jpg

Not my truck, found by Google - but it doesn't look half bad IMO... Just not really my style! :)

I tried my iphone out the sound cuts out when I open up the throttle while driving and when I rev it.

Hit record on the audio recording app...

set phone down away from the truck...

rev...

repeat if audio cuts out and increase distance away. :D

I've done that. Doesn't help. I'll have to ask my buddy if I can use his video recorder.

Anyone going this route?

38420760005_large.jpg

38420760012_large.jpg

:bsnicker::bsnicker:
Yeah, remove the bed mount a 5th wheel, some mud flaps, whippy-doo's, chicken lights...........:crazy:

Nice looking exhaust work, just doesn't belong on a Sport Trac.....or anything not a big rig!

...asking to get your cats removed (here at least) is like a dirty word...

Yessssssssssss it is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone going this route?
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/369/1521/38420760005_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/369/1521/38420760012_large.jpg

Not my truck, found by Google - but it doesn't look half bad IMO... Just not really my style! :)

I think it does look half bad. Whole bad for that matter ;)

It's cool that they opted to do something different, but on a trac... on a v6... not feeling it. But if they like it that matters I suppose

I do like the giant ford decal though :thumbsup:

Back