sport track dana 30 sas project | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sport track dana 30 sas project

Im slightly new to this forum. I used to have a 1992 ranger 4x4 prerunner with about 17" of travel all around sitting on king coilovers, and deavers in the back with king smoothbodies.

This is going to be a new style project for me. im going to take a few pages from the guys that run jeep speed.

Here is how it sits rightnow

My plans:

rear spring over with custom doetshe tech 2.0 monotube rebuildable shocks, and daystar stinger bumpstops

Front dana 30 sas swap:
diff is a Cherokee high pinion dana 30 with tj axle shafts using the larger u-joint.
Ford ranger front wheel bearing so I can reuse the factory abs
Ford ranger brake caliper, pad and rotor bolted to a modified tj steering knuckle.
The modified knuckle will also be reverse drilled for a custom chevy 1 ton high steer kit
Removal of all the factory jeep control arm mounts, and installation of ballistic fab coil mount/radius arm mount kit
custom y link radius arms with removable link on one side for flex
doetshe tech 2.0 monotube rebuildable shocks
Rubicon express 5.5" xj coils
Ballistic fab upper coil mounts, and shock towers
Daystar stinger bumpstops
ford f150 steering box

For tires and wheels I will be running 15x7 pro comp steel wheels, with 33x10.5 bfg m/t`s

I will also be custom fabbing a roof basket, front bumper, rock sliders, and rear bumper.

I think that covers it all for know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got about 6" of lift in total. I was hoping for less. I want to see if I can get the back down about an inch by re working the spring pack

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Love that,I may do the same way on mine.
Holding up okay?

1610004_10154069250485321_9025206508590527534_n.jpg

10170825_10154069250220321_7774050536455595499_n.jpg

10336799_10154069250630321_3413496655905431624_n.jpg

10155525_10154069252435321_6756075326290319257_n.jpg

10277568_10154069251100321_786934726931651504_n.jpg

truck is working great. have not broke anything yet and it flexes like crazy almost scary amount of flex when not being used to its limits yet.

Awesome work, brotherman. Taking you back to the brakes... How are they working? I'm going to start gathering parts to do do this. Just need to stop at a parts store and measure the hub/bearings. I'm interested to see if the Explorer and Jeep bearings are the same size dimensionally, if so, then all I need are rotors and calipers and caliper brackets.

I don't suppose you have links to others that have tried this, or other Jeep brakes?

the brakes are working great, and i have yet to set any abs codes. all in all very happy. i have no links to other people that have tried this. as far as i know im the only guy running this setup. it was kindof an experiment that went well i guess you would say.

Sweet. Time to cobble together parts at the parts counter or in a junkyard to see if I can simplify it for the Jeep crowd. And, wife approves, so money can be spent...

bump bump

1 year of running the coil springs and i decided to upgrade to 12"x2.0" coilovers

I'm curious, how does it drive down the road?

The truck drives very good. I just got back from another road trip. 1800km. 300 of which were offroad. Every time go on a trip with it I like it more and more.

This is my second truck with coilovers in the front now. i dont think i will ever go back to anything normal. These are valved and sprung slightly on the stiff side for everyday driving, but once i air down and hit the dirt they perform amazing. the harder i drive the better they work. i like driving fast so they do what i want. once i slow down and put it in low range they are also amazing. its just the in between use that seems firm. running 32 psi on the highway and hitting bridge decks and potholes is the only thing that is slightly firmer than i would like, but the rest of the time makes up for it.

I work with a guy that has a raptor and i was able to outdrive him through a 10 mile stretch of nasty road. airtime was the norm for this stretch and he was driving his raptor pretty hard.

Here is a video of some low speed stuff
[

The rear bumper started life as a trailgear rockslider. i added the corner tubes, hitch, and mounts to make it work.
My license plate frame is hinged and has a light in it so im legal with the tailgate down when my dirtbikes are loaded.

Where's the thumbs up button

:thumbsup:

Great work man! :thumbsup: Man I want to sas my truck so badly lol.

Great work!! I love the ABS feature idea! Has me thinking a D30 now.

Do you think you could have kept it any lower and still worked? Like 2-3 Inches of lift height over stock?

Thanks.

Back