Sport - turbo replacement - best brand/manufacturer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport - turbo replacement - best brand/manufacturer?

relentless85

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Hello, I just purchased a 2017 explorer sport with the 3.5 eco boost. The front end was damaged when wrecked. Right now I have the radiator out as well as the whole front bumper, grills, and lights removed.

I noticed oil around the front turbo and it leaking down off a bottom engine mount then on to the ground.

Looks like I’ll need to replace that turbo. What brand is best to go with? OEM ford/motorcraft brand or an aftermarket brand? Like Dorman or another aftermarket brand?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my replacement front turbo from Rock Auto for $500 it is made by Mahle but it same exact as OEM including the Garret turbo housing

Well… OEM Ford turbocharger is on back order and appears it will be on back order for quite some time.

I can’t seem to find a Mahle brand turbo. Not listed on Rock Auto either. Just Dorman, Rotomaster, Cardone, standard motor products, GPD and pure energy.

I don’t really trust dorman…I haven’t had good luck with their other parts.

They have the Mahle Rear turbo in stock but I can't find a front turbo. Might be worth emailing them. I also would not get a dorman unit.. those $300 turbos don't last. You certainly get what you pay for I wouldn't even look at those cheap units. You want the install kit too with oil syringe so you can prime the turbo before you bolt it on and install new seals/gaskets for the coolant and oil feed lines.

Well… OEM Ford turbocharger is on back order and appears it will be on back order for quite some time.

I can’t seem to find a Mahle brand turbo. Not listed on Rock Auto either. Just Dorman, Rotomaster, Cardone, standard motor products, GPD and pure energy.

I don’t really trust dorman…I haven’t had good luck with their other parts.
havent had any luck with any (nto with turbos but with locks little things here and there) imo id swing the extra $$$ for a ford one (or whoever was the OE mfr), of those listed id pick cordon, but id go with ford. if banks or garrett make any those are bueno

Can the turbo be removed and then sent off to be rebuilt? I’m having no luck finding a OEM Ford one. Can’t really wait 6+ months for a OEM Ford turbo to arrive.

Can the turbo be removed and then sent off to be rebuilt? I’m having no luck finding a OEM Ford one. Can’t really wait 6+ months for a OEM Ford turbo to arrive.
Are there any auto parts recyclers in the area?

Peter

I signed up as a "business" on ford parts website and got discounted pricing + free shipping just using my home address. They don't care. They are always back ordered on turbos and other common parts. Ford is actually having a huge nationwide parts supply issue right now.

Rockauto has turbos in stock: 2013 FORD EXPLORER 3.5L V6 Turbocharged Turbocharger | RockAuto

I signed up as a "business" on ford parts website and got discounted pricing + free shipping just using my home address. They don't care. They are always back ordered on turbos and other common parts. Ford is actually having a huge nationwide parts supply issue right now.

Rockauto has turbos in stock: 2013 FORD EXPLORER 3.5L V6 Turbocharged Turbocharger | RockAuto
Which ford parts site did you use? There are many variations it appears. Ford oem parts, and of course the dealership ones.

Color me blind, but is there a guide or list here for the part numbers for the OEM 3.5L Ecoboost Turbos? I've looked around the net and I find random ones and then things that say "Replaces_____________"

Maybe it would be helpful to compile a list of the left/right or front/back? (whichever you refer it to)

Also... what would be the best aftermarket alternatives? Good quality or bang for the buck?

Back