Spring touch up painting | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spring touch up painting

Well spring has arrived, and in the month I have between graduation and "the real world" I will be working on my vehicle, as per usual. The last two afternoons I've spent doing touch up work and painting, etc.

First off, my bumpers, painted black 4 years ago, needed a bit of touching up. You can see from the below pictures that they had a few scratches and dings. I was going to just try to touch up those areas, but it looked too dark and shiny, so I had to mask off both bumpers and re-spray both entirely.

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

The paints. Bulldog prep spray and then SEM bumper coat with flex agent.

IMG_0776.jpg

The finished product (it kinda looks like crap because they both got coated overnight with construction dust, but you get the idea.)

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

I also needed to touch up the fading trim next to the windows. Sprayed this 4 years ago, and it was just finally starting to bleach again. Please ignore the half naked man in the window.

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

Prepped by cleaning with alcohol and water, than masked it off

IMG_0763.jpg

The paint:

IMG_0767.jpg

Sprayed and finished:

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

Also, I painted some of my interior fans black:

IMG_0780.jpg

All of these things were very easy to do if you're mildly competent and have minimal trouble painting a room - it's very simple stuff. Figured I'd share for anyone who is considering doing this. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how long did u wait for that glue stuff to dry befor u applyed the trim paint. and can this method be used for the bottom gray trim on my 02 XLT? if so what other steps will need to be done

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i took a trip to autozone today and found these 3 cans of paint.now wich paint do we use first? i know we use the adhesive first then trim paint. but what about the bumpers? do we use the adheasive then bumperpaint? or do we have to sand the bumper beforehand.?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How did you paint the fans?

did you sand the panels down all the way or just even them out? mines are bad. I got some paint but not the same kind, anything else i need to know?

Sorry I missed some responses on this thread.

Swoop - I just hit them very lightly. Definitely didn't sand down all the way.

Back