spring under axle vs. spring over axle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

spring under axle vs. spring over axle.

1993fordexploere

Reaction score
City, State
northern california (Eureka)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt 4x4
ok i just started thinking. not everyone has sua and not everyone has soa, so i am cur ious. what doy uo have? you you like it? disadvantages/advantages. if custom or want to show a flex picture throw it in to. im just curious if you like your sua or soa.

and remember: :feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally have spring under axle. Came stock with the Explorer, I plan on keeping it because I'm going lower. I believe spring over axle is just a qiuck 5.5 inches of lift for 40 bucks.

More control with SUA.
More expensive to lift SUA.
More chance of axle wrap with SOA.
Both (with the same springs) will flex about the same.

SUA TrailMaster 4" lift springs with 35s.

1600rubicon1.jpg

1600truckhavenpose.jpg

SOA stock springs. With the TTB up front the rear would flex a little more than that, but not much. Mine isn't because of the SAS up front.

MeFlex.jpg

SOA cleans up all the crap under the axle, and gives much better ground clearance.

As power is applied, torque load causes the rear pinion to pivot upward. Once this load reaches a certain point the leaf springs begin to deform, which stresses numerous driveline components. The "fix" is to increase spring strength, via add-a-leafs, or install traction bars.

SL_axlewrap2.jpg

I haven't done a SUA to SOA on an explorer yet but I did on my Samurai. I noticed ALOT more axle wrap after the swap to the point I built a traction bar for it though the sami has ALOT weaker leafs than a explorer. I DID gain about 2" of flex though. I think its a better way to go then a leafpack with a big arch though, and cheaper IF you have a welder.

Back