Squeaking and screeching rear suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking and screeching rear suspension

projectPONY

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ford Explorer XLT
Greetings all.

Been a while since my last visit but when I have an issue with my Explorer I know this is the place for answers.

My 2002 Explorer XLT is experiencing some very loud squealing, squeaking, and screeching from the suspension. It's is especially noticeable during articulation of the suspension like pulling into driveways and over speed bumps. Hell, it even does it as we get in and out of the truck. This has progressed significantly over the last six months or so. I believe the sounds are coming from the rear, upper and lower control arm bushings. Has anyone experienced what I'm talking about? Are the bushings replaceable or do I need to replace the entire control arms? Lastly, is it doable here at home or should I pay someone to do it? The truck has roughly 220k miles on it at the present time and is my daily driver. The noise has gotten down right embarrassing and I need to get it fixed. Any help will be highly appreciated.

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those seem to be OK but will be replacing them anyway. Most of the noises are coming from the rear suspension. I know this because I got under the vehicle and pushed up on the truck, as if doing a push up on my back.

Spray all the joints with silicone lube.

LWcan-1.jpg

Your rear struts are probably shot....likely the oil has leaked out and now you get creaking and squeeking.

The silicone spray works, but just for several days or so. Or until it rains and then back to square one.

Rear shocks have been replaced. Did that about a month ago.

The silicone spray works, but just for several days or so. Or until it rains and then back to square one.

Rear shocks have been replaced. Did that about a month ago.
Probably a dead thread and acc, but try the ball joints. I have a 2wd 02 sport 4.0, so idk about your suspension. If it's a solid rear axle, try checking the leaf springs and check their bushings if applicable

It's usually when the control arms rubber bushings start slipping instead of flexing. You can use lube to stop the squeak temporarily but the only permanent solution is to replace the rubber bushings.

Not worth it on a 21 year old vehicle with 251K miles to me. I just crank up the stereo to not hear it.

Back