Squeaking / Squealing Brakes | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking / Squealing Brakes

If the dealer is too much time or hassle to recreate the problem, you can try a trusted mechanic, if you have one.

Could be a water pump going bad. In my old Honda it did that after a water pump replacement where they did not use a factory Honda part, (but charged me as if they did).
Every time the weather would drop below 40*, the front end would screech a steady high pitched whine, going up in pitch as the car accelerated to a very loud screeching, (as the accelerator was pushed more and more headed onto the hiway,) and it would slowly drop in pitch and die out and stop as the car would slow down & then stop.
I swear I thought something was either going to fly off the front end of the car and go whizzing into the air, or the motor would just explode...it was that loud...
But recently it didnt matter what the weather was, it did it all the time when going over 40mph.

..and then I traded that puppy in and kept a straight face the entire time...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be caliper seizure on the rear, mine was doing this , dealership could not find the issue as every time after I stop and give my car to dealership to check, the noise would go away. But it was getting worse and worse, finally dealership is able to smell it and hear it. They replaced the caliper.

For your case, have you noticed when would it appear? Does it appear every day or only after the car not used for a few days? Mine mainly happen on Monday as my explorer is not used on weekend, so by Monday the caliper would become sticky. If I drove it everyday, my caliper seemed fine.

Mine is FWD 2011 as well.

My theory is because the caliper is not able to fully released if the car is not used frequently, so if you park the car without using parking brake before travel, you should be fine, but if you do use parking brake,the caliper will become hot quickly and it will then seize

If the dealer is too much time or hassle to recreate the problem, you can try a trusted mechanic, if you have one.

Could be a water pump going bad. In my old Honda it did that after a water pump replacement where they did not use a factory Honda part, (but charged me as if they did).
If the noise stops every time the brakes are applied, it shouldn't be a water pump.

Sounds like a brake system component. While it is screeching, I'd lower the windows and in a safe area, slow down to identify which wheel it is coming from. It sounds like you have something hanging up and not fully releasing a brake component.

Calipers.

2011 explorer 2wd, 37000 miles makes loud intermittant screeching noise. the noise stops when applying the brakes...

Send me your information in a PM, 011explorer-mom; I'll be happy to look into ways to help. In your message, please include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

Find a different Dealer who cares more about you and your family's safety. Sounds like a brake problem to me.

You haven't got the mother in law locked in the trunk have you?

Some disc pads have a small piece of metal that will touch the rotor when the pad thickness is getting down; that makes a high pitched squeal that would go away when you clamp the brakes on.
And because of pad knock off, especially in the back, the sound wouldn't be there all the time.

Or it could be the drive belt or one of the pulleys driven by it.

I had a 1978 Torana that had a sort of a washer covering the diff pinion bearing that would sometimes spin and make a screeching racket; diagnose that one. A bump in the road would often set it off, but not always.

thanks for all replies!

explorer back at the dealership to have brakes checked again. i gave them tsb someone posted about intermittant squealing noise, and suggested some things mentioned here. hopefully they will be able to figure out the problem!

i will post with results. thanks again :)

thanks for all replies!

explorer back at the dealership to have brakes checked again. i gave them tsb someone posted about intermittant squealing noise, and suggested some things mentioned here. hopefully they will be able to figure out the problem!

i will post with results. thanks again :)

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what your outcome is, 2011explorer-mom. Don't hesitate to reach out to me if you need any assistance. :)

Crystal

2011 explorer 2wd, 37000 miles makes loud intermittant screeching noise. the noise stops when applying the brakes. i took it to the dealership to have the brakes checked, and was told they're fine. the noise isn't there all the time, it can go days without making it. i can be driving it for a while, and it will be fine, then the screeching noise starts, goes for a while and stops. sometimes it continues. always stops when braking.

i'm taking my kids on a trip in a few days (500 miles...) and i'm very nervous about this very LOUD screeching noise!!! not sure if vehicle is safe to drive that far.

any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
well it looks like my explorer wont be making the trip to NYC this weekend. she's been quarantined at the ford dealership on charges of a bad right rear caliper. (sorry australia, no MIL in the trunk!)

ford has kindly provided us with a rental.

caliper is on backorder until mid september! (should this be a tsb? i think so...)

thanks to all who took the time to respond to my post :)

2014 squeaky brakes

2014 and it seems there still an issue. at 900 miles squeaky brakes take it dealer where i bought car. they loose shims so it seems to fix now at 2000 its back and worse. so i decide have my mechanic look at it he calls and says its not the brakes it looks like its coming from the right wheel bearing. it is happening when i am driving around at slow speeds in parking lots and turning the wheel. any thoughts or help would be appreciated will be taking it in tomorrow to another dealer. should have kept my 2002 explorer:fire

If its the wheel bearing, why didn't they go ahead and replace it under warranty?

squeaky brakes

will see if they replace the wheel bearing tomorrow or replace the brakes my mechanic said take it the dealer and get it fixed under warranty. they told me loose shims at 900 when i took it to the dealer and it did go away for a month but now back. so i got second opinion as the first dealer fix did not fix the issue.

will see if they replace the wheel bearing tomorrow or replace the brakes my mechanic said take it the dealer and get it fixed under warranty. they told me loose shims at 900 when i took it to the dealer and it did go away for a month but now back. so i got second opinion as the first dealer fix did not fix the issue.

Keep us in the loop, prowler. I responded to your PM; just give me a shout if you need any additional assistance.

Crystal

squeaky brakes

second dealer found rt front anti rattle clip rubbing on rotor they replaced right front caliper bracket so will see if this is the fix. thanks

Squeaky brakes - how long did your OEM pads last?

I have about 48k on my 2011 (mostly highway miles) and the brakes squeak at low speeds (like in parking lots, starting and stopping, etc.). Sometimes they continue squeaking after letting off the brakes but not always. I haven't had a chance to inspect anything yet, but I assume the pads are getting low. How long did your original pads last?

On a related note, has anyone upgraded pads? Got any recommendations? EBC?

Most factory brake pads these days are Ceramic vs. Semi Metallic. Great news is that is why you have very little if any brake dust compared to other types of pads. However, after sitting for awhile when vehicle is cold particularly they will squeak for a few minutes of driving. All Ceramics do this to some extent, if your symptoms occur based on the scenario I described that isn't anything to worry about. Test this in real world driving conditions and see if it matches.

Squealing brake question

So I am dealing with the squealing brake issue as I see many others have. My explorer is a 2011 with about 65,000 miles on it. I put front brakes on around 58,000. That was the first time I tried to correct the problem. I wasn't aware of the TSB or that there was an ongoing issue. I thought that the pads may have gotten glazed or something so I purchased some quality pads and rotors from rock auto and swapped them out. Shortly there after the squealing returned. If I clean them up and grease all of the contact points on the pad brackets and shims they seem to quiet down for a few days. I know it is far too late to get the TSB done but I would like to know what they are actually doing so i can fix this once and for all. I have heard that they use different pads, if so how can I be sure that I get the redesigned pads. Also, I have heard that they either replace the caliper anchor bracket or possibly the bolts for it. Does anyone know about this and why this might be making a difference in the squealing. I appreciate any input. Thanks

FYI

Service Bulletin No.: ASI-44564
Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES
NHTSA ID Number: 10056207
All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin close
Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)

FORDEDGE2011-2014
FORDEXPLORER2011-2014
FORDFLEX2011-2014
FORDTAURUS2011-2014
LINCOLNMKS2011-2014
LINCOLNMKT2011-2014
LINCOLNMKX2011-2014

Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
SUMMARY:
FORD/LINCOLN: DUE TO CORROSION BUILDUP BETWEEN BRAKE PAD AND ANCHOR BRACKET, VEHICLE EXPERIENCE A REAR BRAKE DRAG CONDITION AND NEED TO BE CHECKED FOR DEBRIS AND/OR CORROSION. MODEL 2011-2014 EXPLORER, FLEX, TAURUS, EDGE, MKX, MKT, MKS. *PE
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Look at the Sticky' section up at the top of this thread menu, review this post about dragging rear brakes;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413677

I had service today, and told them to check the brakes: I had an oscillating squeal coming from the rear area of mine, real loud when starting and driving for at least 20 min. Just driving, & when braking but no braking needed for noise.
sqeal, squeal, squeal SQUEAL SQUEAL
If speed up sqeal is faster, if slow down its slower.

In summer or winter, hot or cold, would go away after 20/30 mins, but would return every time I started and drove car.

Service checked brakes since I was doing the Works and rotating tires,
& 2 things were said, but not sure both were done.

1. Service counter advisor said squealing was fixed, a caliper bracket was broken, replaced it and the slide pins.

2. Service order says removed and sanded rear brake pads, lube and clean slid pins, reinstall and verify.

Cant imaging the counter person coming up with the replaced bracket all by himself, he described it as a large staple shaped bracket. But no other mention of it.
Since it was covered by warranty parts & labor show as zero.

Im hoping they used the correct nickle grease as described in the dragging brakes post, otherwise driving in the slop of last weeks snow storms will cause the pins to gunk up again?

Also I have a decent & convenient car wash on the way home, so I have taken to rinsing the car every 2/3 weeks in the self wash bay and blast the brakes well every time to try and avoid build up.

Left there in 2 hrs, no squealing which is awesome :thumbsup: but will update.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i did just replace my rear pads and found that one side had been dragging. I cleaned up the brackets and put on the lubricant as recommended. All is good on the back. The squealing that I am having reoccur is from the front.

Back