• Register Today It's free!

Squealing transfer case?

Firstimeford

Reaction score
City, State
Little Elm, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4X4
I've been hearing a squealing noise for a while starting at about 40 mph on up. It sounds to me like it's coming from the left side but I can't tell if it's front or rear. At first I thought it was the brake pad wear indicator but when I inspected the brake pads they look new. I took it to an independent shop and they said it was the transfer case. This is on a 2001 ST with 73000 miles. When the shop put it on the lift, raised the rear end and ran it up to 45 mph you couldn't hear a squeal, but there was some noise coming from the transfer case. It didn't sound like anything abnormal to me, just "mechanical" sounds, but I don't know what it's "supposed" to sound like. After they told me it was the transfer case, I drove it to 50 mph so I could hear the squeal and shifted into 4WD. It made no difference in the sound whether I was in 2WD or 4WD. The noise doesn't change whether turning right, left or while touching the brakes. Does this sound like a transfer case problem to you guys? BTW, the transfer case looks new compared to the rest of the undercarriage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to diagnose over the internet but I'd be looking somewhere besides the t-case from what you've said.

Thanks Ranchero. I'm thinking the same thing. I'd hate to fork out 1500.00 up for a new transfer case and that not fix the problem. I replaced upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends over the weekend, not that it had anything to do with the squealing, but while I had it torn down I was able to inspect the hubs and they looked to be in good shape and turned smoothly. Could the sound be U joints?

U-joints are a possibility. Also look at the inside or your front wheels. You say you thought it was a wear indicator for the pads but plenty of pad left. Well it regularly comes up, though usually in the winter after a snow, that the pad clips slip down and rub the wheel. Check THIS and the associated threads and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Thanks again man. It's in the alignment shop right now, but when I get it back this afternoon I'll check out the clips. It looks like everyone who had that problem had 15" wheels though. Mine are 16".

On another note: This forum is the greatest! I never would have been able to tackle the balljoints without you guys. Ya'll also helped me diagnose a brake light/turn signal issue before I was even a member. It was the notorious wire that pulls loose from the multifunction switch when the steering wheel was tilted down. I hope someday I can return the favors!
Great forum!

Back