Transfer Case Going Out?

JamesInTahoe

Reaction score
City, State
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT
Hi all,

Looking for thoughts on a problem I'm having with my 2005 Sport Trac 4WD. I've got about 240,000 miles on it. Recently, when I put it in 4WD HI I get a loud clunk pretty often (ever few to every 10 or 15 seconds) when I'm under power on a slick surface. It doesn't seem to happen if I run it in 4WD on pavement (yeah, I know you're not supposed to do this, but I wanted to see if it made a difference if I was in a situation where the wheels couldn't slip). Almost sounds and feels like I'm hitting a pot hole.

I replaced the front axles and the front driveshaft, so it's not a CV joint.

Seems like the only thing left is the transfer case and the front differential. I've read some comments that the chain can stretch in the transfer case so it can slip. But before I try and find a used transfer case, was wondering if (a) there are any other thoughts on what it might be, and (b) any thoughts on how to confirm it's the transfer case. Unfortunately, Sport Tracs have a different transfer case part no. (4L24-7A195-CA) from Explorers (all AB-AF part nos.) so it's a pain to even find a used one.

Thanks,

James

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RE: transfer case

James:

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions to help solve your problem, but I too am having problems with the 4WD on my 2005 Sport Trac and I find it interesting that neither one of us are getting any replies. My problem is difficulty getting into 4WD Low and then if I do it's hard to get out of 4WD Low - I posted this problem recently, thought I would get some suggestions, got nothing so far. I know I can look around and read some previous posts and so forth and look other places too. Seems like a good knowledge base here, and someone would have our problems figured out by now!

Bill

So it clunks when you don't have full traction, but is fine on pavement? Another thing to check would be driveshaft and joints.

James:

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions to help solve your problem, but I too am having problems with the 4WD on my 2005 Sport Trac and I find it interesting that neither one of us are getting any replies. My problem is difficulty getting into 4WD Low and then if I do it's hard to get out of 4WD Low - I posted this problem recently, thought I would get some suggestions, got nothing so far. I know I can look around and read some previous posts and so forth and look other places too. Seems like a good knowledge base here, and someone would have our problems figured out by now!

Bill

Your issue could be a weak shift motor. Try taking it apart and cleaning the motor area.

THe symptoms you're describing sound like the same symptoms I had when the chain in my transfer case was stretched out - as you mentioned.

I first noticed it while driving up a loose/rocky mountain road, about every 20-50 feet, in 4high, I'd feel the clunk and would lose traction up front. Someone who was following behind could tell when it would happen because my front wheels would stop churning, and the rear wheels (because I was on an incline) would start to slip.

I'd have to take it out of 4high, and put it back in to get it to engage properly again, if I recall correctly (it was about 3 or 4 years ago).

This winter, I've started to notice it a bit again, but only a few times... which irritates me a bit lol

it was on this trip:

8028565720_fb0a53728b_b.jpg

What tcase do Sport Tracs have? I'm guessing it's not the BW1354?

Back