Squealing/Whining Power Steering Pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squealing/Whining Power Steering Pump

beenwrong2002

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
The other day my explorer wouldnt start and I had to put it in neutral to roll it. Doing this I had to turn the wheel pretty hard a few times to position it where I wanted it. Afterwards, I noticed it looked like power steering fluid had shot out from the power steering fluid reservoir, like from the cap but the cap was still on fine. I took it to a shop and they said the power steering pump was fine, but today it started squealing/whining when i turn about 5 minutes after driving. Anybody got any ideas? Is the power steering pump gone to crap? This really makes me mad because im in the middle of selling it. Thanks for any help.

Check the level of fluid, cranking the wheels in either direction with the truck not running on our rack and pinion systems usually results in loss of fluid from it being pushed out of the rack and back into the res.

Chances are you have air in the system, run the truck for a while, and after you got it warmed up, start slowly turning the wheel from lock to lock several times, and check the level, this will bleed the air out of the rack, then just top off when you're done. (having the front wheels off the ground makes it so much easier, and you may have to sit and do this for a little while, especially if the fluid was low and foamed up...)

Check the level of fluid, cranking the wheels in either direction with the truck not running on our rack and pinion systems usually results in loss of fluid from it being pushed out of the rack and back into the res.

Chances are you have air in the system, run the truck for a while, and after you got it warmed up, start slowly turning the wheel from lock to lock several times, and check the level, this will bleed the air out of the rack, then just top off when you're done. (having the front wheels off the ground makes it so much easier, and you may have to sit and do this for a little while, especially if the fluid was low and foamed up...)

ya it would be a wholel lot easier with the tires off the ground....but im gonna go follow your advice ill be back with results, thanks a bunch !

Back